Question

Honor Student
JamesBrown
Message 1 of 5 (4,281 Views)

Won't Boot, keyboard and mouse wont work, usb ports turn off

My computer just stopped working this morning. It starts and gets as far as the blue hp logo screen. A couple days ago my 2 wireless usb mouses stopped working with it and i know they work cause one is brand new. I have a usb mouse and keyboard that are wireless and transmit to a reciever which worked until today. I tried wired keyboards and they didnt work. I am stuck at this bliue screen and i cant even do a system recovery because nothing will work. When my transmiting keyboard and mouse stopped working i switched to another usb. It lit up the transmitter but the keyboard and mouse still didnt work. Then i restarted it again and it wont even light up in any of the usb ports. It is turning off usb ports everytime i switch and now none work. I dont know what i can do. Please help, thanks, James.
Intern
WizzKid
Message 2 of 5 (4,242 Views)

Re: Won't Boot, keyboard and mouse wont work, usb ports turn off

hi James Brown! Try resetting the bios by removing the CMOS battery and installling it back in. disconnect all devices except for mouse, keyboard and monitor. Remove CD/DVD on drive, If issue still persists, contact hp tech for box repair.

Hope this helps!

Professor
1badGuard
Message 3 of 5 (4,237 Views)

PC model number?

Go to your pc driver page and reinstall the chipset driver.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 5 (4,227 Views)

Hi,

Recognition of USB ports is a BIOS function. First try using a PS/2 keyboard to see if you can access the BIOS and turn on USB ports. If you have had you PC more than 3 years your BIOS (CMOS) battery might which means that it will not keep the date and functions that are set.

Regards,

Eric

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
lavondahopkins
Message 5 of 5 (2,678 Views)

Hey my computer is doing the same thing. Did you get yours running?

thanks lavonda

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation