a1700n won't power up (828 Views)
Honor Student
csr2k
Message 1 of 3 (828 Views)

a1700n won't power up

Hi,

Suddenly my a1700n desktop (1.5 yrs old) won't power up. No light on the back of tower. Tried reseating RAM and no beep is heard. Looks like motherboard may be bad (i was reading other posts). I am wondering how can motherboard can go wrong so quickly. HP techsupport can't help anymore since it is little outside the warrantee. Any way to check if power supply is bad vs motherboard.  Thanks...

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 3 (819 Views)

Re: a1700n won't power up

Hi,

The best way to test is by trying either a new or known working PSU in your PC. The PSU testers that are available for consumers are not reliable as they do not test the PSU under load. When you use a PSU tester,  Leds light up and tell you that voltage is present. That is of no actual value if a PSU fails immediately when under the load of an OS boot process.

If you don't have access to a spare power supply, consider buying a new one. 

The following  procedure must be done with the power disconnected. Clear the CMOS. Remove the battery and place the Clear RTC jumper to pins 2-3. Press the power button and hold it for 15 seconds or more. Leave your PC in the clear CMOS mode for a half hour or more. Sometimes the best results (pleasant surprises)  occur after 24 hours. 

Place the jumper back in the default position (pins 1-2) Reinstall the CMOS battery. Unplug the hard disk connectors.  Plug in the power cord and attempt to start your PC.

Motherboards do die, but normally not in such a short period of time. The norm is 3-5 years. Have you experienced electrical storms or power outages in your location? Those can wipe out a PSU or motherboard. 

****If you found that my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the purple thumbs up icon in the lower left corner of a post ***

****Please click on the Accept As Solution button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
csr2k
Message 3 of 3 (805 Views)

Re: a1700n won't power up

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I dont recall any power outage or storms.

ok.. will try with a working PSU and let's see what happens.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation