Question

Honor Student
xenia
Message 1 of 11 (3,100 Views)

cannot find PDF files dowloaded from internet

i have pdf complete install on my PC, once i have downloaded a pdf file from the internet and save that on my desktop, it save it but once i am going to check it on my desktop it is no longer there.

I try to download it again but on the list of downloads on my desktop. pdf files is there

what i did to solved the problem is i uninstall the pdf complete and install an adobe reader.

do you have otehr solution that i can use without uninstalling pdf complete>>??

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 11 (3,039 Views)

Re: cannot find PDF files dowloaded from internet

xenia wrote: I have pdf complete install on my PC, once I have downloaded a pdf file from the internet and save that on my desktop, it save it but once i am going to check it on my desktop it is no longer there. I try to download it again but on the list of downloads on my desktop, pdf files is there. What I did to solved the problem is i uninstall the pdf complete and install an adobe reader. Do you have other solution that I can use without uninstalling pdf complete?

Hello xenia, I'm not quite sure of the issue. Can you advise which "pdf" you had installed and you uninstalled?

There are several applications that can read pdf files. When you mentioned you saved the pdf file to your desktop, you may not have saved it to the desktop, but another location instead.

Adobe Reader is an application that reads pdf files only and not create or manage pdf files. Adobe Acrobat can create, read and edit pdf files.

Can you provide some additional information please.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Honor Student
xenia
Message 3 of 11 (3,025 Views)

thanks

just going to xplain what happen

>> i download a pdf file from a banking website, then i save that on my desktop. after saving i go to my desktop to open the file but it was not there.  it seems that the file is hidden.. i try to open the file using PDF complete but even PDF complete unable to to see the file

>> i checkfile association and it was set to .pdf

>> i download a adobe reader..  download a same file but still unable to locate the file

>> i deleted the pdf complete and download the same file again and save it on my desktop

>> i check my desktop and its already there

Basically i can only open the file after i replace the pdf complete with adobe reader

>> is there any glitch on PDF complete??

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 4 of 11 (3,014 Views)

Hello xenia, Thanks for the additional information. I have never heard of PDF Complete, so I really can't comment on it. However, if you only need to read pdf files, Adobe Reader would be all you should need.

You maybe should use Adobe Reader and set the pdf file association to Adobe Reader as the default program for the pdf files. Then when you clicked on a pdf file, it should open in Adobe Reader.

When you download or save a pdf file, I would suggest you save it to your Documents folder, and then open it from the Documents folder rather than the Desktop. This would keep your desktop clean and have the pdf file saved for future use. It could also be deleted if not needed any longer.

Student
DrXray
Message 5 of 11 (2,933 Views)

I have the exact same problem. I download a .pdf file to my desktop or to any other folder. It is saved, I can open that folder and can see it but when I then close the .pdf file and open the folder to retrieve the downloaded file, it is not seen. If I then go back to the same site to download the file again and reopen the same folder that I had previously used to download it, the original file is there. Frustrating!

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 6 of 11 (2,915 Views)

DrXray wrote: I have the exact same problem. I download a .pdf file to my desktop or to any other folder. It is saved, I can open that folder and can see it but when I then close the .pdf file and open the folder to retrieve the downloaded file, it is not seen. If I then go back to the same site to download the file again and reopen the same folder that I had previously used to download it, the original file is there. Frustrating!

Hello DrXray, Not sure exactly what your procedure is, but I almost never save a file to the desktop. I always save the file to a folder, depending on the file, but many times I save the downloaded file in the Documents or My Documents folder, depending on the version of the operating system.

I then use Windows Explorer to navigate to the folder where the downloaded file is located. Depending on the format of the file, I can click on the file name and it will open. All the pdf files will open in Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat if you have this installed, and jpg files open in Windows Photo Viewer. You can specify which application you want to use to open different files.

You can also refresh the screen when a file cannot be seen. Just right click on the desktop and select refresh, or just press the F-5 key and the screen will refresh.

Honor Student
xenia
Message 7 of 11 (2,861 Views)

i did all of that... dont know why but pdf complete and adobe reader i not working properly if they are installed together???

pdf complete is preinstalled in all hp computers.......

dude just try to do what i did.... just uninstall pdf complete, once you uninstall that you cannot see the pdf file from IE/internet

you need to check \the setting of the adobe reader

but still i need another solution aside from uninstalling pdf complete//....

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 8 of 11 (2,858 Views)

Is this for Windows Vista or Windows 7?

What browser do you use, Internet Explorer?

If you're really sure that it really saves to the desktop and not the Downloads folder then try to press F5 once the download finishes and you're on the desktop. If you press F5 while on the desktop it refreshes it. 

This happens to me sometimes with .rar files where they don't show up right away and there's a delay on the desktop.

There's quite some forums out there on the delay issue.

Honor Student
ratbch
Message 9 of 11 (2,755 Views)

I am having the same problem; cannot find the .pdf file in my folder files once it is downloaded from the internet.  I go back to the website it came from, save as, and there it reappears in my directory.  Again, I cannot see it once the internet is closed down. I have HP Elite 470f with windows 7. Hope someone has a solution.

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 10 of 11 (2,750 Views)

[ Edited ]

ratbch wrote: I am having the same problem; cannot find the .pdf file in my folder files once it is downloaded from the internet.  I go back to the website it came from, save as, and there it reappears in my directory.  Again, I cannot see it once the internet is closed down. I have HP Elite 470f with windows 7. Hope someone has a solution.

Hello All, When downloading a pdf file, or any file for that matter, make sure you look for the location at the top of the download box for the location the file will be saved in. This may vary, depending on where you saved the last downloaded file. You should be able to navigate to any Folder on your system, except the Documents and Settings folder, to save the file in.

I created a folder that I named My Documents under the C: (root), as in C:\My Documents, that I use to save all my Documents in. I also have a Folder that I named Downloaded Files in the C: (root), as in C:\Downloaded Files, where I save all my downloaded files in. This prevents Windows permissions from controlling My Document and my Downloaded Files. If these folders are created in the root C:, and the C: drive is set to shared, the operating system has no control over these folders. You can choose to set the permissions to share these files if needed. You must insure your system is secure if you choose to use this approach.

To make Adobe Reader you default pdf program, open Adobe Reader and click on "Edit" in the Adobe Reader window and selecting "Preferences" from the drop-down menu. Click on "General" under the "Categories" list to highlight it, and click the "Select Default PDF Handler" button at the bottom of the left-hand side of the "Preferences" window. Select "Adobe Reader X" or whichever version you have installed from the drop-down box, and click "Apply."

This should allow you to read a PDF file in Adobe by double-clicking the file name.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation