compaq presario cq5814, windows 7, multitude of problems (267 Views)
Honor Student
MrWeenie
Message 1 of 6 (267 Views)

compaq presario cq5814, windows 7, multitude of problems

My mother in law purchased the computer for my stepson when he got out of jail for the second time. Long story, drugs, and alcohol, and you name it. Anyhow, he was going to use it to research jobs and educational oportunities, etc. Within a week I saw it on craigslist and took it from him. He'd already completely messed it up. He goes to websights trying to find online drug sources or something. I had no idea they existed. I thought they were monitored or something. Sorry, back to the subject, he's back in jail and we have this messed up computer with no software to reinstall or to use for recovery. Here are some messages:

windows cannot find %windir%\system32\..........

....... refers to is unavailable

........ environment not found

Issues with actions not taking place when clicked:

comand prompt when clicked will not do anything

when trying to open system files nothing happens

when saving .bat files they are not there

when performing system restore it completes successfully but nothing has changed

cannot create backup disc or recovery disks

cannot run file scan or disk defrag

Too many things to list. 

Is there a way to fix this? Does anyone know what caused this? 

We have a small budget and would like to be able to repair this for free but it's been sitting since I took it and that's been over two years roughly so I'm sure the warrenty is out. I've been trying what i know for the last week but my skills aren't good enough. I can't even do a system recovery because we don't have the disks.

Please help.

Thank you.

MrWeenie (our youngest named our dog MrWeenie, I hated it at first but if you knew the dog it fits, he's half black lab and half wiener dog)

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 6 (248 Views)

Re: compaq presario cq5814, windows 7, multitude of problems

[ Edited ]

Hi:

You can order a set of recovery disks for your PC by clicking on the link below, and then click on the link labeled Order Recovery Media.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5109...

If you want a free solution for getting the PC to work, you can do this if you can read the 25 character Windows 7 product key on the PC:

If you use this method, you will not have any of the extra software that originally came with the PC--just the operating system will be installed.

Download the W7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit iso file from the link below and follow the instructions to use the Microsoft ISO to USB tool.

Make sure you get the whole file to download. Make a note of the advertised size and compare that with the actual file that downloaded. Sometimes it states the download was complete but the whole file isn't there.

Use the Windows 7 USB/DVD installation tool to compile the ISO file you download from Digital River. Link  below. You need a 4 GB flash drive to use the USB method of compilation.

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool/3000-18513_4-10972600.html

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

The key will activate either a 32 or 64 bit installation.

Then go to the PC's support and driver page to install the drivers and available software you need.

Link to the W7 ISO file downloads is below.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/14709-Windows-7-Digital-River-direct-links-Multiple-Languag...

Honor Student
MrWeenie
Message 3 of 6 (228 Views)

Thank you Paul. This computer is pretty fouled up. I've done everything you said even though it's taken me all day to do it. Everytime I attempt something I run into a new scenario and have to google it and hope to find a quick answer. Up until now I've been pretty lucky. The latest issue is with the instalation of Windows 7. The bootable CD works great thru section one, but as soon as it's time to load the drivers it doesn't let me load anything. It says,

"The system could not find the environment option that was entered".

I have all the original drivers downloaded and on CD from the HP website and the computer just wont let it happen and again, my skill level isn't high enough to know what to do next. Thank you so far and I hope you won't mind helping me one more time.

Thanks again,

Dave "MrWeenie"

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 6 (221 Views)

You're very welcome, Dave:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know how to remedy that error.

Windows 7 should install and be completely running and then you would then install the necessary drivers.

I googled the error and you can see if any of the suggestions on this thread are of help to you.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/the-system-could-not-find-th...

Honor Student
MrWeenie
Message 5 of 6 (199 Views)

Hello again Paul,

It's Dave with the Compaq Presario problems. I've tried everything I can find to read about. I've downloaded the iso and successfully burned it to a disc using my laptop and the win 7 usb/dvd tool. Ran it in the presario and it prompted me for the drivers at the beginning of section two of the repair. I understand that shouldn't be happening. I then tried to use two different usb drives and the presario wouldn't recognize either one. I then downloaded the drivers from the websites and tried to install and every attempt prompted the same messages as before, environment not found, %win........stem32\ path not found, or i don't have authority. all attempts to gain authority, run as admin, etc have failed with same error messages. Nothing to do now but strap it into the trebuche my son and i built to win his elementary school pumpkin chunkin contest and launch the darn thing about three hundred feet out into the pasture. the 300 feet is just an educated guess based on how much i think it weighs. I'm not going to pull up the specs and calculate drag and optimal trajectory. then again, if i made a goal of landing it right in the middle of the fire pit the challenge would probably be enough to get my son and the video camera to record it to use as scientific research. plus a little extra credit and we could play the video on my laptop at this years contest. teach some sixth graders about psychological warfare. it's my last chance before our youngest hits jurnior high. Don't judge me, I'll never grow up and no one can make me.

All kidding aside, except the trebuche, if there is anything else anyone can suggest to try I will be glad to try it and keep trying. eventualy it will get fitted for a trebuche sling if this keeps up though.

thanks as always,

Dave (MrWeenie)

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 6 (190 Views)

Hi, Dave:

Unfortunately, I just don't know what to tell you.

You're sure you got the whole ISO file to download?

It should be in the high 2 GB to low 3 GB depending on if you installed the 32 or 64 bit verison of W7.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation