Question

Honor Student
jbpalmbreeze
Message 1 of 4 (2,931 Views)

compaq presario desktop SR1913WM hard drive upgrade?

just bought a western digital caviar green 500gb hard drive for the above listed desktop, but when i run xp media edition recovery cds to add the os i get error messages.  Bios shows hard drive listed with 500gb, but it won't load operating software?  is this hard drive too big??? read somewhere that this model can't go above 120gb??? why??   please help
Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 4 (2,924 Views)

Re: compaq presario desktop SR1913WM hard drive upgrade?

The motherboard on SR1913WM only Supports SATA 1.5 Gb/s. But the 500GB Western Digital hard drive is 3 Gb/s. That might be the problem due to which you are experiencing problems using the drive eventhough it is correctly recognized in BIOS.

I would suggest you try updating the BIOS and then try using this hard drive. BIOS update link:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software7/COL16587/pv-43509-1/sp26834.exe

However if the issue persists after BIOS update too, I would suggest you look for any higher capacity hard drives which run at 1.5Gb/s.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Honor Student
jbpalmbreeze
Message 3 of 4 (2,841 Views)

thanks for the input, but i just looked my my computers specs on hp's website (sr1913wm) and it says the drive is 3 gb/s?????  When the new drive is hooked up it is recognized on bios...but i can't load the os from my recovery discs......which i was told by three "computer techs" that it can be done?????  help....i want to use this new drive for the added storage?

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 4 (2,832 Views)

I see more problems reported with 500 gb hdd in general and Western Digital in particular. I also recently saw an article at HP (that I can't find now) about machines with Nvidia 6150 Chipset having issues with WD 500gb hdd.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation