Question

Tutor
eddr
Message 1 of 20 (6,042 Views)

computer wants to format sd card

HP Pavilion Elite Desktop e9237 (approx 1 1/2 year old)

SD card reader working fine till now.  When I now insert SD (4 GB) card into card reader, I get message that I need to format the SD card.  When attempting to format it, I get message it that I can't format the card.  Note: The card is already formated and I can read it with the USB adaptor when inserted into the card reader.  I went to device manager and removed the SD card and reinstalled it to no avail.  Any suggestions on what to try next?

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 20 (6,003 Views)

Re: computer wants to format sd card

[ Edited ]

Pick up a can of compressed air and clean the card slots.Works sometimes.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Teacher
windy61
Message 3 of 20 (5,985 Views)

Ready Boot.jpgHello You can goto control panel then open Auto play then insert your sd card  it should be listed at bottom listed under devices you can change the default to take no action this may stop the asking you to format your sd card.

Also after you install your card if it shows up in your Computer as a drive you can right click it and goto properties on the ready boost tab you may want to check mark (Stop retesting this device when I plug it in.) My screen capture is of a Coby Mp3 player.  Windows calls it a mass storage device as is SD Cards.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.
Tutor
eddr
Message 4 of 20 (5,975 Views)

I tried blowing in the card slot with a hair dryer with concentrator on the end to no avail.   Not too optimistic that a compressed air can will make that much difference but will see where I can purchase one.

Tutor
eddr
Message 5 of 20 (5,973 Views)

No devices were listed at the bottom under the section for "Devices that you connect to your computer will be listed here."  Just to be sure this was not the problem, I disabled AutoPlay at the top under "[  ] Use AutoPlay for all media and devices." 

Apparently it has the latest drivers when I check the drivers.  I am beginning to think the 15-in-1 card reader is defective unless someone else has some other idea on what I can check out.   

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 20 (5,971 Views)

Have you tried the SD card in another PC or laptop just to rule out faulty card?

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
eddr
Message 7 of 20 (5,967 Views)

Using a 2 GB SD card with a USB adapter, it works fine in the HP 15-in-1 reader on the HP desktop computer.  It also works fine on the card reader in my HP printer that is connected to the desktop computer using the
built in SD reader on the printer. 

In addition, I have used a 1 GB and 8 GB SD card in the 15-in-1 reader on the desktop computer and neither of them worked - gives the same message that they need to be formatted.  They both work fine using the SD card reader built into the HP printer that is connected to the HP desktop computer.  

Teacher
windy61
Message 8 of 20 (5,962 Views)

[ Edited ]

Card reader.jpgHello again

I tried going into Device manager on my daughters laptop and found out the card reader only shows up after you insert

a card try this and look if after inserting a card it does show up ,If it's there right click it and uninstall it. take out card shut down and restart your computer see if windows see's it as new hardware and reinstalls the driver. You may have to insert a card before windows will see your card reader & install the driver. If after inserting a card windows don't list it . Have you ever opened up your computers side cover if so look in side maybe the card readers plug to the mother board got unplugged. If not then you can say the card reader has failed.

and needs replacing.

Tutor
eddr
Message 9 of 20 (5,939 Views)

Evidently I was in the wrong place to check for the card reader. I was at Disk drives: Generic - SD/MMC USB Device when I thought I checked the SD card reader and it said the driver was current (before and after deleting it and rebooting).  

When I go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, there is no card reader listed before or after inserting a SD card.

Teacher
windy61
Message 10 of 20 (5,930 Views)

Hi eddr The screen print of my daughters card reader is from her Acer laptop running windows7 Home prem 64 bit.

I didn't look in the Disk drives in device manager. You said you tried a 1 GB & 8 GB card and neither worked, does that mean both didn't bring up the format cards when inserted? If you insert a SD card and the page comes up asking to format the card can you just click it away, if so try right clicking your desktop computer and goto manage this will open computer management in the left column click Disk management if your SD card is listed in the center section right click & try formatting The card. Once done then close out getting back to desk top remove your card and reinsert it see if that stops the asking to format card. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation