Question

Honor Student
mariecardinal87
Message 1 of 11 (11,472 Views)

dvd cd reader not recognizing disks

I have an HP G61-423CA, I already had windows 7 on it. I had to format it so i did with windows 7. Everything went ok but I just found out my dvd-cd reader does not recognize any disks. I tested with movies and blanks I popped on it and when i double clicked on the reader icon, it ejected my disks and asked to add a disk in. My reader is an HP DVD RW AD-7586H ATA device. I checked to see if it needed updates and it doesnt. I downloaded many driver tools to see if there are any that needed updating and everything is ok.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 11 (11,453 Views)

Re: dvd cd reader not recognizing disks

Hi,

First, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

Check if the drive is now working.

If the drive is not working, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Click to open the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.  Right click on the first channel and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When uninstalled repeat the process for each channel.  Also if an ATA controller is listed, right click and uninstall this, again not deleting drivers if asked. Then open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.

Reboot the PC and let Windows reinstall the devices.  Check the drive again.

If it still isn't working, run the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below again.

Windows 7

Next, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now works.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
britishdhez
Message 3 of 11 (11,433 Views)

Honor Student
mariecardinal87
Message 4 of 11 (11,404 Views)

I tried everything you told me. Fix-it recognized I had a problem with my dvd cd reader but couldnt repair it. Could it be a problem when i formatted and installed windows 7?

Teacher
TEDUinManila
Message 5 of 11 (11,381 Views)

Dear mariecardinal87,
 I'd like to help. First thing is that I noticed that your machine is not a desktop pc but a notebook (laptop) pc.

I want to ask:1) WHERE ARE YOU EXACTLY? ;2)Where did you buy your CDs? ;3)What kind of DVD/Cd are you using?
 Please read my notes about DVD Regions below, the reason why I'm asking those questions.

PRODUCT SPECS:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02029482&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

MANUAL:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01856449.pdf

Most DVDs that contain copyrighted files also contain region codes. The region codes help protect copyrights internationally. You can play a DVD containing a region code only if the region code on the DVD matches the region setting on your DVD drive The region settings on your DVD drive can be changed only 5 times.
The region setting you select the fifth time becomes the permanent region setting on the DVD drive.
The number of region changes remaining is displayed on the DVD Region tab.

Selecting the right disc
An optical drive supports optical discs (CDs and DVDs). CDs, used to store digital data, are also used
for commercial audio recordings and are convenient for your personal storage needs. DVDs are used
primarily for movies, software, and data backup purposes. DVDs are the same form factor as CDs but
have 6 to 7 times the storage capacity

Honor Student
Gary3015
Message 6 of 11 (432 Views)

I own an HP mobile Work Station, 32 bit, Windows 7.  The CD/DVD drive does not play or recognize DVD's all of a sudden.  The player is a:

DVD RW AD-7586 ATA device

I have tried all of the recommended fixes but to no avail.  Is it possible to just download that version of the drive or is it a lost cause?

Gary

PhD Student
Photoray002
Message 7 of 11 (425 Views)

Hello Gary,

You said you have done all the fixes above and nothing worked.

So when you go into the Device Manager, do you see the DVD drive listed? If so, is there a yellow caution mark with it?

Do you also get any error codes when you try to use it?

PhD Student
Photoray002
Message 8 of 11 (422 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well since you've done everything listed I'll just put this in here. It wont hurt to try it and maybe it will work.

Lets say your registry has become corrupted.

You have to be logged in as an Administrator to do this.

Be careful when working in the Windows registry. Be sure to back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

Remove the Upper and Lower Filters from the registry:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.

2. Type regedit in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow

3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.
    Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. Remove the .bak entry also.  If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.

5. On the Edit menu, click Delete. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

6. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

7. On the Edit menu, click Delete. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

8. Exit Registry Editor and restart the computer.

After removing these keys, its possible you might  have to reinstall any DVD burning software (but usually not).

PS: your Workstation actually qualifies as "Commercial" equipment and you can post any issues in the Enterprise/Business forums also.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/

Honor Student
Gary3015
Message 9 of 11 (407 Views)

Good Morning

Sorry, I went to bed and did not see your response until this morning.

What you wrote above is one of the fixes I tried before I posted.  It did not help so I am still in the dark.  Is there another fix I could try or is it possible just to download the software and possible that will help.  What is listed on the drive name is:

DVD RW AD-7586 ATA device. 

I am just grasping at straws right now.

Gary

PhD Student
Photoray002
Message 10 of 11 (401 Views)

Well, it wasnt one of the fixes above so I thought I would put it out there.

Gary it sounds like if it suddenly quit working and will not read or write anything and you have done all the fixes above and it's recognized in the system as being there but does nothing, then it sounds like the drive has failed.

I would consider a replacement at this point.

You can contact HP Support here if in the United States to see about purchasing another drive if its out of warranty.

Other parts of the world, here.

I have done all I can do.

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation