Question

Honor Student
hairhouse4
Message 1 of 11 (2,364 Views)

have new computer w/ethernet port, still have dial-up is there a converter can buy and where/brand

bought parents a new computer. they still have dial up and computer has ethernet port only  is there a converter for this and where do i get it? i did a searchbut none look like they have a phone line hook up.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 11 (2,348 Views)

Re: have new computer w/ethernet port, still have dial-up is there a converter can buy and where/bra

No way a converter can make an ethernet port work on a dialup connection. You need a dialup modem installed. The one from their old PC might work... we would need the model number of the new machine to look up Specs to see what type of slots it has on motherboard.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 3 of 11 (2,344 Views)

Re: have new computer w/ethernet port, still have dial-up is there a converter can buy and where/bra

No way to convert ethernet to dail-up. You will need to purchase and install a modem card compatible with the computer or purchase an external modem and plug that into the computer.

Link to internal PCIe x1 modems at Newegg.com

Link to USB modems at Newegg.com

Frank

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
hairhouse4
Message 4 of 11 (2,335 Views)

so they live in the country, does that mean a wireless type of modem?  they are old and only need to check e-mail and very rarely use the internet.  looking to get them there but not break them.  dial up is through ticon.net and pay $10 a month?

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 11 (2,332 Views)

The links to modems posted above are not wireless modems_they are dialup modems used with dialup connections. The first link is to modems that are installed inside the case, plugged into a slot on the motherboard,with a phoneline plugged into it via back of machine_just like their old one had.

The second link is modems that can be plugged into a usb port on the machine and a phone line plugged into the modem.

As I also mentioned,the modem from their old machine might work- but that would depend on what model their old machine is and if it used PCI-e slot modem or PCI. Most older machines have PCI slots and modems, most newer machines have PCI-e slots and use those type modems.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 11 (2,330 Views)

If you could post model number of the new machine we can look at Specs page to determine for sure which type-PCI-E or PCI- modem you need. You can probably get one at a local Best Buy,Staples, maybe even Wal Mart...though dialup modem are not as widely used anymore I have seen a few at Staples.

Honor Student
hairhouse4
Message 7 of 11 (2,322 Views)

model # is p2-10334

they didn't have a modem. the phone line went right to the back of the computer. they were running windows 98?? that how old it was.  I REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP. I am computer illiterate myself

Provost
CherylG
Message 8 of 11 (2,313 Views)

[ Edited ]

In their old machine there would have been a modem installed in a slot on motherboard with a panel that fit against back of PC where the phoneline plugged in..

I can't find a p2-10334, the closest I found was a p2-1033w. Bad news on that model_no slots at all on motherboard to install a modem HERE  Unusual to see a desktop motherboard with no expansion slots.

If that is your parent's machine, the only option will be one of the USB modems such as in the link above or HERE...unless maybe you could take the machine back and exchange it?

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 9 of 11 (2,312 Views)

I can't find a model p2-10334... perhaps you meant p2-1033w??? If this is the case, you will need to get one of the USB dail-up modems as mentioned above because this computer/motherboard has no expansion slots.

If you have a different model, please report the model number and/or product number for the computer.

Frank

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
hairhouse4
Message 10 of 11 (2,304 Views)

thanks for the help everybody. Maybe my parents will upgrade once they get use to it! just making sure I here everybody correct. the modem then goes in the usb port instead of the ethernet port?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation