Message 1 of 13 (8,127 Views)

how can i put my pc to sleep mode? and awaken it with a touch of my mouse

How can i put my pc into sleep mode and awaken it with a touch of my mouse

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 13 (8,098 Views)

Re: how can i put my pc to sleep mode? and awaken it with a touch of my mouse

Depends on your computer/OS/Keyboard.

You can change the sleep settings so that it goes to sleep after the computer has been inactive for XXX period of time. You can press a special button on some keyboard (the button has an icon of a crescent moon). On most Desktop PCs manufacturered in the last 5 years you can press the power button on the front of the case.

Here is an HP support document on the subject - depends on the version of windows you have installed:

Windows 7

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01837578

Windows Vista

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01767708

Windows XP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph01013

Windows 95 - ME

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00529147

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Intern
pedro-pecker
Message 3 of 13 (7,950 Views)

Re: how can i put my PC to sleep mode? and awaken it with a touch of my mouse

I am trying to figure the same?

I have a HP6630uk running win7 64 I have the key on the keyboard like a crescent moon on the F2 button but that does nothing?

the power plan is set to  Balanced  i found the setting for the keyboard hotkeys & that key is set for sleep??

any help please!!

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 13 (7,945 Views)

If your kbd has an Fn key in bottom row, press it and the 'sleep' button.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Teacher
sherip99
Message 5 of 13 (7,228 Views)

My keyboard has the Fn key and crescent moon on the F2 but Fn+F2 doesn't do anything here here, wonder why? My system is a month-old p7-1298c

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 6 of 13 (7,189 Views)

Hello shrip99,

Is the sleep key the only one not working? Does your other FN key combinations work? Do you have the drivers for the keyboard installed on the computer? Is this a stock keyboard or was it purchased separately? If separately what is the keyboard make / model?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Teacher
sherip99
Message 7 of 13 (7,178 Views)

[ Edited ]

Both keyboard and mouse are hp usb hardware. System is new, has win 7 x64, and amd trinity a10-5700 CPU. Device manager shows both mouse and keyboard are using standard HID coimpliant drivers. On the support page for p7-1298c there is an item for "keyboard and mouse drivers" but the download within is for HP PCI x1 cards Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller. In device manager I have two USB 3.0 Host Controller items in device manager but they are labeled "AMD USB 3.0 Host Controller". I do not believe I have any addin cards in the systems besides a stock mini wifi card. I believe all the USB hardware is sourced on the motherboard (MSI "Jasmine").

The only keyboard function keys with icons on them are F2 (crescent moon), F5 (rewind), F6 (play), F7 (stop) and F8 (fast forward). Since I've not located any documentation I'm not sure when those should work. Maybe for playing DVD's (which I haven't tried). There are a few separate buttons for Mute, Vol Down and Vol Up. Just tried those during a Youtube video (played from within 32 bit Firefox) and they didn't work.

I do have the mouse and keyboard connected to the front usb ports (which are USB 3). I will try moving them to USB 2 ports on the back later today to see if they function any differently.

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 8 of 13 (7,173 Views)

Also please check that your case power button puts the computer to sleep
http://goo.gl/oPEy9
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Teacher
sherip99
Message 9 of 13 (7,166 Views)

The power button (which is configurable in power management) does indeed currently put the system to sleep.

Switching the keyboard to a USB2 connection fixed the malfunctioning keyboard buttons.

I'd have to retry USB3 to verify, but possibly the light on the bottom of the mouse stayed on during sleep when connected to USB3, whereas it definitely goes off for sleep when connected to USB2.

I don't have any real USB3 devices to try in the USB3 ports. I had read somewhere that USB3 ports were backward compatible to USB2. The mouse and keyboard were seemingly working fine before (aside from special functions and volume buttons).

Teacher
sherip99
Message 10 of 13 (7,164 Views)

Maybe someone goofed on drivers available for my system at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5231...

Under "chipset drivers" is AMD USB 3.0 Host Controller 2012-06-06 , Version:1.0.0.72 Rev. A
(In device manager, I see I have AMD USB 3.0 Host Controller version 1.0.0.72 dated 2/26/2012 signed by windows hardware compatibility publisher.)

But under "Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices" are mysterious downloads for Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller and Texas Instruments USB 3.0 XHCI Host Controller

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation