Question

Honor Student
sweetheart0903
Message 1 of 4 (191 Views)

how do I install a new operating system on my desktop after replacing hard drive

Help! I recently had to replace my hard drive after it crashed. I was not prompted to back up my OS upon purchase which was Windows 7. Staples set up some things when purchased 4 years ago and think they were prompted, but anyway. I replaced my hard drive and found out that I can't even get a recovery disk through Microsoft for 7. I purchased 8 and can't get anything but a blank screen after turning on pc. So, I can't install the program. Has anyone had this issue that can tell me what to do or am I looking at having to take it in for install? Thanks.
Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 4 (186 Views)

Re: how do I install a new operating system on my desktop after replacing hard drive

[ Edited ]

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete model name and product number of the HP computer in question. HP/Compaq makes thousands of models of computers. Without this information it may be difficult or impossible to assist you in resolving your issue.

The above requested information can be found on the side, back, or bottom of your computer, or on the BIOS setup screen. Please DO NOT include your serial number. Enter the model/product information into HP's Online Consumer Support page and post it here for our review.

When you first setup your computer, you should have created your personal HP Recovery Discs. If you didn't create these discs, you may be able to order them from HP or a third party vendor.

Alternatively, if you can still read the 25-digit Windows product key on the Microsoft COA affixed the computer, you can install Windows 7 using this key. Please see "How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc" for instructions on how to download Windows 7, create the installation media, and install Windows 7 using the 25 digit product key from the Microsoft COA on your computer. Understand that this method will not contain any HP customizations or value-added software.

If you wish to continue to attempt installing Windows 8, please provide more details about the steps you are trying when you get the "blank screen."

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
sweetheart0903
Message 3 of 4 (184 Views)

Re: how do I install a new operating system on my desktop after replacing hard drive

HP Pavilion p6210f and I turned pc on and inserted Windows 8 disk. It is 64 bit Pro version of 8 and I replaced my 640 GB hard drive with 1 TB. As stated earlier, 7 was never backed up and Microsoft states recovery disks are no longer available as it is obsolete since 8 and 8.1 are now available.

PC SPECS WHEN PURCHASED
AMD Athlon II Quad-Core processor
SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
NVIDIA Gforce 9100 Integra ted graphics
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit system
Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 4 of 4 (165 Views)

Here are the original factory specs for your HP Pavilion p6210f Desktop Computer. Based on these specs, this model should support Windows 8 without issue. Please turn on the computer and insert the Windows 8 disc, then restart the computer. Upon restaring the computer, immediately start tappinf the "ESC" key to enter the "Boot Device Selection" screen. On this screen, select the boot device named "HP - CD/DVD" (or something to that effect) and press enter. Press any key, if prompted, and install Windows 8.

Since Microsoft doesn't provide or support HP Recovery DIscs, they would have no idea if HP Recovery Discs are available. You can still order HP Windows 7 Recovery Discs from ComputerSurgeons.com or use the previously provided alternate method to install Windows 7 on your computer.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation