Question

Honor Student
denicemd
Message 1 of 9 (13,910 Views)
Accepted Solution

how long to restore pc to factory settings??

I have a compaq presario cq5320f dual processor pc. I got a virus and received discs to restore to factory settings. Tried last night the cds all worked fine but it was taking forever to install new software (about 13 hours) hp won't help as they say its out of warranty.. Got up today... Still wasn't finished so as I was advised I started again.. It been about 2- 3 hours now.. Does anyone know if this is normal..? A guy I did speak to at HP said it can sometimes take a very long time.. He said one guy it took FORTY-EIGHT hours to install( did work after that) any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 9 (13,867 Views)

Re: how long to restore pc to factory settings??

Hi:

Now that you have this much time invested, you may as well let it go for a while longer.

My opinion is that restore process is taking way too long.

I only have considerable experience using recovery disks on HP business notebooks and desktops, and it has never taken more than 30 minutes to an hour at the very most, to restore a PC I have ever restored, to factory condition.

I have never restored an HP consumer notebook or PC using the recovery disks, so I can't say with 100% certainty that your recovery process has a problem, but I think it does.

If the system continues to hang, you may have to try it again.

Paul

Top Student
WaltonBennie
Message 3 of 9 (13,859 Views)

Restore from the Recovery discs should take no longer than 30 minutes if that. If the recovery has been running for 13 hours there is a problem, and you should not continue attempting to run this recovery. Stop this recovery, and then try it again. If you have the same timing result then there is a problem existing on your hard drive. You might need to format your drive during the recovery to ensure a clean install. If the Recovery partition on your computer has been damaged, this too may keep your computer from recovering to a factory install.

Master's Graduate
spacechild
Message 4 of 9 (13,856 Views)

Hello denicemd: 1st of all why not try this:

1. detach everything attached to your computer except keyboard & mouse

2.with your recovery media in your optical drive hit the "F8" key to install everything via "safe mode"

3. if it asks you to choose administrator choose that rather than your own name follow what you see on your screen

sometimes that is what a pc needs to be normal

4.run chkdisk or scandisk with all of the options checked to rule out HD problems

5. while still in safe mode download an antivirus & antispyware apps at the minimum

6. once done reattach your stuff

after this unless you need a new HD I'd be very surprised if you didn't have a full recovery!

good luck

hope this helps

spacechild

Honor Student
denicemd
Message 5 of 9 (13,850 Views)

Ty.. Spacechild and walton... Am gonna try to recover in safe mode.. Cross your fingers
Honor Student
denicemd
Message 6 of 9 (13,817 Views)

Ty ty ty.... I really appreciate the help
Student
AbhaSajnani
Message 7 of 9 (13,720 Views)

Hi, I have a HP G61- 320CA. I had a problem  in which when I booted my laptop it said BOOTMGR is missing. I did not know what to do. So I went online and downloaded a windows 7 installation disk. I installed windows again onto the laptop and discovered that my laptop had all the features of an HP gone. There was nothing at all, when I opened Control Panel>System it did not say that my laptop was an HP it said nothing.. On top of that the disk was aa trial so after 30 days i had to get a genuine windows 7 or put in my product key. My laptop came with a Windows 7 Home premium but the installation disk was a Windows 7 Professional, so i couldnt put in my product key. I have some important files on this laptop, so I am trying to make a backup. But i do not know how to restore the laptop to its factory settings. please please help!

Student
randallhammarst
Message 8 of 9 (13,682 Views)

Umm i have ereased my c drive completely ... and when i boot it up it says " Reboot and Select proper boot device" "or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". What can i do and can i use a USB to make it back to Factory settings ?

Student
Kuruyama
Message 9 of 9 (723 Views)

If you wiped your C: drive as you states you had, you erased all OS information from your HD so you would need to either Install the OS you had before (if you still have the disk and product key) or if you have an OS on your USB drive you could install it that way (would still need product key unless installing a Linux distribution) or buy a new product (if you're going with windows) / download from another computer (if going with Linux)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation