Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I rebooted my HP this morning and received a black screen with "Invalid system disk." I think it then said "replace disk and reboot." I searched the forum and found advice to eject the CD from the drive and use f10 to access a bios setup. I admit I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do once I'm in there. I see nothing labeled "hard drive diagnostic."

This is a Pavilion Slimline s5610f PC. BIOS screen says BIOS revision 9/7/2010.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

The correct error message is: Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key.

Please help. I'm not tech-savvy when it comes to these types of things. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hey DianeVall, 

I'm sorry you're running into this error, but I'm sure we can get it straightened out 🙂

With that error message, something has caused the computer to look for a Windows disc to be in the CD tray, because it has been told to boot from the CD tray. All you should need to do is change the Boot Order in BIOS, so that it no longer looks to the CD tray first, but to the hard drive. 

If you've had an upgrade or had to reinstall Windows recently, that is probably the reason for that. 

To change the Boot Order in BIOS:

1. Power down the computer

2. Press the Power button and immediately start tapping the F10 key repeatedly to enter BIOS.

3. You'll see tabs across the top of the BIOS screen. Use your arrow keys and arrow Right over to Storage.

4. On the System Configuration screen, arrow Down to Boot Order and press Enter.

AmericanMegatrendsBIOS1.jpg

5. Arrow Down to select Hard Drive and press Enter.

AmericanMegatrendsBIOS2.jpg

6. Arrow Left to File and down to Save Changes and Exit.

AmericanMegatrendsBIOS3.jpg

Then Windows should load normally. Have you made any changes like I mentioned, recently? Reinstalled Windows or had to use a repair disc or anything?

If those options I mentioned in the steps above don't look like what you see in your BIOS, please take a picture of your BIOS and post it in your reply, or let me know what the version number and BIOS maker name are. Usually that information is on the first/home/main screen in BIOS, either at the very top or very bottom. Look for the Copyright symbol and let me know the information beside it. 

I hope these steps help! I'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you Akshun. I think this was part of the problem. I took the CD out of the drive and it still didn't work. My sister advised me to take every flash drive and external hard drive off of the computer, which I did, and the computer came back up. Somewhere in the middle there I did the f10 thing to get to the BIOS menu. I changed a few things that looked like they needed changing, so that may have helped. I'm giving you kudos because you answered and went so far as to provide screen shots for me.

Thank you!

Diane

HP Recommended

Absolutely! I'm happy you were able to resolve the issue! That would have been my next guess 😄 

I'll make note of that for future cases. 

Thanks for the kudos 🙂

HP Recommended

I am having this same issue, I had a flash drive pluged into my computer. I unpluged it, and followed your screen shots excatly. I am no longer getting the error message, but I am still getting the black screen. I see the windows start up message and get the start up noise, but then all I get is a black screen and my mouse cursor. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. 

HP Recommended

Hey Bluegelini, 

I'm sorry you're running into this Windows loading issue. The fact that you're getting Windows startup sounds is good. That means your hard drive is probably OK. It would be a good idea to rule that completely out first, though.

If you've got a recent computer (within the past 3 or 4 years) you can run a hard drive test from System Diagnostics. To access the hard drive test:

1. Press and hold the Power button until the computer shuts down

2. Press the Power button to turn the computer on and immediately start tapping the F2 key repeatedly, to enter System Diagnostics.

3. From the list of tests, choose Start-Up Test. It will take about 10 minutes. Note the results and post them in your reply

4. When the Start-Up Test finishes, return to the Main menu and select the Hard Drive test. That one will take around 20 minutes. Note the results and post them in your reply also. 

If everything passes, your hard drive is fine. You can try to perform a System Restore to an earlier date. This will not affect your files. To start the system restore see the video link below.

Using System Restore when Windows 7 cannot start normally

Let me know the test results and the results of the system restore attempt when you get a chance Smiley Happy

HP Recommended

Everything said that it was fine. I tried the system restore to three different restores and it kept saying there was an error with the restores for all three. I was still able to back up my data. No matter what I try I still get the black screen.

This is what I see when I try to restore: ErrorMessage.jpg

HP Recommended

Ok thanks for letting me know Smiley Happy

This is important: How did you perform the backup and how badly do you need those files that are (hopefully) backed up?

If you used the Windows Restore environment to perform the backup today or since Windows has stopped booting properly, the backup may not be reliable. If there are files you would like to make sure get backed up properly, there is another process you can follow before reinstalling Windows. 

How to use Knoppix to Recover Data when Windows is Not Loading Properly

If you are not too concerned about the files being backed up, OR you are certain that they were backed up already, you can proceed to reinstalling Windows. Performing the following Recovery (same thing as reinstalling Windows) will erase everything on the hard drive. Your files from before (when Windows was working) will be erased. So be sure the backup worked or you transferred the files using Knoppix (if you're concerned about saving the files).

How to perform a Recovery from the Startup screen

Please let me know if you have any questions about that Smiley Happy

HP Recommended

I backed it up from an external hard drive, from the Recovery Manager, so there is a possibility that it could be corrupt. Most of my main filies are backed up elsewhere and safe, its just all of my applications and their save data that would be destroyed (not the end of the world, but inconvienient). Maybe I will try to back it up from the CD like you suggested. I'm really amazed that booting up with a flash drive in my USB port could cause this much damage. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.