m9058n Dual Boot XP/Vista questions (636 Views)
Honor Student
blue666
Message 1 of 4 (636 Views)

m9058n Dual Boot XP/Vista questions

I have a Pavilion m9058n with Vista preloaded. Earlier this week I started to load XP as a dual-boot OS. Things were not as smooth as I had hoped, however I was able to get everything to load. And, with one exception, the system appears to be running good. Drivers are ok. The exception is that there is some kind of error when I put the computer into stand-by and then wake it up. This causes a reboot every time. I read somewhere that this might be caused by incorrect drivers for the hard disk. When I installed the Nvidia mobo chipset drivers I got the following message after it was all done. RAID is enabled in the BIOS and I installed the chpset drivers after most of the other drivers were installed.

1) NVIDIA storage driver optimized for nForce SATA controller that will replace the driver that came with Windows.

2) A RAID controller driver which is required if SATA RAID is ENABLED in BIOS

3) RAID Manager application software

Note for Windows XP:

To install OS onto SATA disks when RAID is enabled in the BIOS, you MUST do the following:

- use the "-x" option with the package .exe to extract storage driver files
- follow instructions for Windows F6 install in "IDE\<os version>\driver\READMEF6.txt"

Here is what System Devices looks like on my Vista partition.

Here is what System Devices looks like on my XP partition.

I installed from bootup. I have no idea where that READMEF6.txt is. Do I need to re-install XP using the "-x" option? If so, I'm not sure how to go about that. Or, should I just use the RUN method on the chipset driver with the "-x" option.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 4 (628 Views)

Re: m9058n Dual Boot XP/Vista questions

[ Edited ]

Your XP system is missing a driver which might be causing the problem.  Did you look at all the VISTA drivers and look for same XP drivers at this link:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3552381&lang=en

I know there are not XP drivers at the above link.

XP lacks sata drivers so before you install XP you need to merge in the drivers with the XP installation disk. Or if you have a floppy drive, have them on a disk (the F6 option).

You can use NLite NLite Guide (it's free)  to build a new installation disk and merge in the sata drivers.  The drivers need to be a folder and not in installer format.  7-ZIP or Universal Extractor are good at unpacking the installers.

If you started with VISTA on the same HD then you know about the boot record issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 4 (608 Views)

[ Edited ]

With the Nvidia 6150SE Chipset, XP will usually install without extra drivers for SATA.I am a bit surprised that XP installed with RAID enabled.

As Big_Dave mentions you do usually need the driver when RAID is enabled so that may be the root of reboot issue. Use one of his suggestions for an extraction tool and extract the Nvidia Chipset to a folder on your hdd. In there you should see one titled ..IDE\WinXP\sataraid with the required drivers.The floppy and F6 can be used ,but slipstreamimg the drivers with nLite and burning a new XP cd works better,imo. Dave has also provided you with the nLite Guide needed. Nlite download: HERE

Your Device Manager actually looks pretty good (to me) , other than Wireless driver missing and the 'Unknown' which I suspect is the ViXS PureTV-U TV Tuner. It is a very elusive one for XP_did you try the one I posted on your other thread without success? Or is the 'Unknown' something else?

The wireless is a bit tricky,since HP gives names to some driver downloads that don't  match what you have.Below is a driver which some have reported to work on the M9000 series. If it doesn't work, it will be back to deciphering HP's naming code.

Lite-On Wireless HERE

Which graphics driver do you have installed? Many reboot issues can be traced to them.Go to Nvidia site and choose Option 2 to have it scan for best graphics driver HERE

I have attached the Read Me file from Nvidia Chipset in case you need it.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
blue666
Message 4 of 4 (560 Views)

Thank you Big_Dave and CherylG,

After following your suggestions and re-installing XP on a different HD, I was able to get everything working properly. When I installed it before, I had put it on an oooold HD and I think that was what was causing the standby issues. Plus, I hadn't slip streamed the disk drivers onto the installation disk. Plus, I didn't install the mobo driver first off. These were all causing issues, so when I did the install properly, as outlined by your advice, the install went smoothly.

The missing driver is for a TV remote that I don't (and won't) use anyway.

The wireless driver is, and was, functioning correctly. I just have it disabled because I connect to DSL through ethernet. This seems to be a more reliable connection in my case.

Thanks again for all your help,

Kevin Warner

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation