Question

Top Student
bbrad
Message 1 of 11 (1,543 Views)

metro apps wont play video in windows 8

I have a HP Pavillion a1600n.  I erased the hard drive and installed a copy of Windows 8 RTM.  The metro apps work up until I try to play any video, then they either close, hang or the app gives its own custom error message.  The netflix app, for example, gets to 21% and then just hangs everytime.

The chipset is GEForce 6150 LE.  Does anyone know how I can make the apps work properly?

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 11 (1,531 Views)

Re: metro apps wont play video in windows 8

Hi,

Windows 8 does not have media player built-in, you can sign up for a free version from the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

You need Windows 8 Pro to be able to use it otherwise try the following product:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
bbrad
Message 3 of 11 (1,529 Views)

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not trying to use a media player.  I'm trying to use apps like Netflix, CW, ABC, and other "TV" apps that stream TV programs and movies.  None of them will work.  I don't know if this is relevant to the absence of the media player, but I don't think so.

Provost
banhien
Message 4 of 11 (1,527 Views)

Hi,

Probably Flash Player does not work. Perform a clean install Flash Player may help:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/clean-install-flash-player.html

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
bbrad
Message 5 of 11 (1,519 Views)

Tried to uninstall Flash by following that link and downloading the uninstaller.  I shut down all browsers and ran the uninstaller, and it said it ran successfully (that flash was uninstalled), but the when I restarted, the flash player was still clearly still there, as I could still watch flash videos on websites.

At any rate, I believe the Netflix app runs on silverlight and so flash wouldn't have anything to do with it

Provost
banhien
Message 6 of 11 (1,516 Views)

Hi,

Could be something to do with this:

http://www.zdnet.com/the-netflix-app-on-windows-8-is-breaking-and-thats-bad-7000005799/

and please use the following apps to fix:

http://microsoft-news.com/netflix-windows-8-app-now-available-for-download-from-windows-store/

Regards.

BH
Top Student
bbrad
Message 7 of 11 (1,510 Views)

ok, I checked out both links, but neither one offered a solution.  The first one was just complaining about the Netflix app (but didn't offer a solution), and second one was just an announcement that the app is now available in the windows store.

Provost
banhien
Message 8 of 11 (1,501 Views)

bbrad wrote:

ok, I checked out both links, but neither one offered a solution.  The first one was just complaining about the Netflix app (but didn't offer a solution), and second one was just an announcement that the app is now available in the windows store.

Hi,

That means you have to go to Windows Store to download that app.

Regards.

BH
Top Student
bbrad
Message 9 of 11 (1,491 Views)

The netflix app is not working on my computer.  That means that i've ALREADY downloaded it.  So why would I go to the store and download the app, if I've ALREADY downloaded it, and it is not working on my computer?

Top Student
bbrad
Message 10 of 11 (1,490 Views)

my first post explained that "the netflix app gets to 21% and just hangs everytime".  This is because I've ALREADY downloaded it, (a week ago), and that it doesn't work on my computer.  So why would I go to the windows store to download it, if I've ALREADY downloaded it, (a week ago), and "the netflix app gets to 21% and just hangs everytime"? (See first post).

My question is (and has always been - see first post and subsequent posts): Since I downloaded the netflix app from the windows store, (a week ago), and it's not working --- How do I get it working??

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation