no signal ON ACER LCD Monitor (HP IMEDIA) (1427 Views)
Top Student
pdsl999robinson
Message 1 of 9 (1,427 Views)

no signal ON ACER LCD Monitor (HP IMEDIA)

[ Edited ]

My DESKTOP  HP IMEDIA X2414 (bought from PC World UK 2.5 years ago ) no longer Boots.
SPECS:
HARDWARE:
IMEDIA X2414
Intel Core 2 QUAD Processor Q6600
3GB DDR2#320 GB 7200 rpm SATA HARDISK
NVIDIA: GEFORCE 7050 up to 1407 MB
P/N: PB80128501
S/N: {Removed for privacy}
PROBLEM: Switch on computer, and you Get NO SIGNAL on ACER LCD Monitor.
MY STEP BY STEPS TOUBLESHOOTING:
1. Unlpug Monitor and plug it onto my laptop (my latop boots fine) therefore MONITOR IS NOT THE PROBLEM.
2. Replace MY PSU with a new PSU, no change (i.e NO SIGNAL appears ON ACER LCD Monitor), therefore PSU (Power Supply Unit) is not the problem.
3. REMOVE the  2 DDR2 RAM Cards, switch on Desktop, and I get a continuous beep. Apparently
   this suggests that the mother board (ECS MCP73VT-PM) is good.
4. Reseat the 2 DRR2 RAM cards, insert a new external graphics card, unplug monitor from
   ONBOARD graphic card, and plug it onto external graphic card, switch on computer, result: STILL
  NO SIGNAL on LCD Monitor, therefore onboard graphic card may not be the problem.
5. Extract the whole motherboard from the Computer case, use my magniflying glass to inspect
   all the capacitors. No capacitor shows any corrosion at their bottom, no bulge on top, no leak
   anywhere. Then I remove processor (intel Core 2 QUAD Processor Q6600), check it carefully,
  no leak,
6. Reseat Processor, switch on computer, Still I get NO SIGNAL ON Monitor)

Question: What  is my problem
Answer: My motherboard is faulty and I cannot find the fault.
Now I want  to replace the whole mother board and then reuse my 2 DDR2 RAM cards and Processor
on a motherboard which must be geometrically compatible with ECS MCP73VT-PM Motherboard.
Could you tell me which  mother I should buy. I am definitely sure that my 2 DDR2 RAM cards are still useable because I tested them on another computer that booted correctly. I  am not sure
about the processor, because I have not been able to test it on a different machine.
Please HELP. MY New motherborad should be able to fit in the existing case and has compatible
audio.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 9 (1,413 Views)

Re: no signal ON ACER LCD Monitor (HP IMEDIA)

Just a word of caution.  If the motherboard is replaced with one that is not the exactly same, then the OS may no longer work, as that is noncompliance with the OEM license.

In the steps leading up to the no signal message from the monitor, does the computer make any noticeable noises, as though it is trying to start?

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Top Student
pdsl999robinson
Message 3 of 9 (1,390 Views)

[ Edited ]

HDD - Hard disk turns (Works fine).

Fan Turns (i.e. works fine)

ALL I GET on LCD Monitor is: NO SIGNAL INPUT.

NO boot phase is displayed on monitor ('ONLY NO SIGNAL' is displayed)

there are no audible beeps.

The ONLY BEEP (actually continous beep) is heard when the 2 DDR2 RAMS are removed from the

motherboard. I assume that the controller on the motherboard tries to detect the RAM (DDR2) peripheral device and issues audible warning when it is missing, clearly part of the motherboard is working.

The problem could be the the Intel core 2 QUAD Processor Q6600 that seats underneath the FAN. I have not

been able to try it on a different machine.

You mention that OEM license could be another issue under a new board; you are quite right, However

I intend to reuse only the 2 DDR2 RAMS cards, and the Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600. I expect

the new board will come with its own CMOS, therefore the license issue will be covered.

Cheers

The troubleshooting prpcedure I followed was:

Details at the back of the Desktop computer case:
SN: {Removed for privacy}
Model/Type Ref: UTOW-D10
MS Model: DV100
P/N: PB80128501

PROBLEM: Switch on computer, and you Get NO SIGNAL on ACER LCD Monitor.
MY STEP BY STEP TOUBLESHOOTING:
1. Unlpug Monitor and plug it onto my laptop (my latop boots fine) therefore MONITOR IS NOT THE PROBLEM.
2. Replace PSU with a new PSU, no change (i.e NO SIGNAL appears ON ACER LCD Monitor), therefore PSU (Power Supply Unit) is not the problem.
3. REMOVE the  2 DDR2 RAM Cards, switch on Desktop, and I get a continuous beep. Apparently
   this suggests that the mother board (ECS MCP73VT-PM) is good.
4. Reseat the 2 DRR2 RAM cards, insert a new external graphics card, unplug monitor from
   ONBOARD graphic card, and plug it onto external graphic card, switch on computer, result: STILL
  NO SIGNAL on LCD Monitor, therefore onboard graphic card may not be the problem.
5. Extract the whole motherboard from the Computer case, use my magniflying glass to inspect
   all the capacitors. No capacitors show any corrosion at their bottom, no bulge on top, no leak
   anywhere. Then I remove processor (intel Core 2 QUAD Processor Q6600), check it carefully,
  no leak,
6. Reseat Processor, switch on computer, Still I get NO SIGNAL ON Monitor)

Question: What  is my problem ?
Answer: My motherboard is faulty and I cannot find the fault.
Now I want to replace, the whole mother board and then reuse my 2 DDR2 RAM cards and Processor
on a motherboard which must be geometrically compatible with ECS MCP73VT-PM Motherboard.
Could you tell me which  mother I should buy. I am definitely sure that my 2 DDR2 RAM cards are still useable because I tested them on another computer that booted correctly. I  am not sure
about the processor, because I have not been able to test it on a different machine.
Please HELP. MY New motherborad should be able to fit in the existing case and has compatible
audio.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 4 of 9 (1,387 Views)

It would seem you did not understand the warning about Windows OEM OS and the changing of the motherboard, because the statement "I expect the new board will come with its own CMOS, therefore the license issue will be covered." does not have anything to do with the Windows OEM license.  You will need to get a different Windows OS, as the existing one will reject the new motherboard if it is not the exact same motherboard as the old one.

BTW: in checking the model number that is listed, plus all the other info indicates the computer in question is a Packard Bell.  Is that correct?

Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

Top Student
pdsl999robinson
Message 5 of 9 (1,381 Views)

YES you are right, I misunderstood the OEM issue. However, I have the original Windows Vista CD.

Are you implying that the original indows Vista CD can only be used on a board which came with it ?

If that is so, IT IS REALLY TERRIBLE and I would seriously consider loading LINUX (e.g. Fedora 17) on my harddisk.  In any case I am trying to find a board that will geometrically fit in my existing HP IMEDIA X2414 case.

Cheers

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 6 of 9 (1,379 Views)

If the Vista CD is a retail copy and not a Recovery Disk, then it wil ( or should ) work with the new motherboard.  Probably an upgrade disk will also work.  The only way to know is to try it after the new motherboard is installed.

Did you happen to notice my reply on the model number?

BTW: in checking the model number that is listed, plus all the other info indicates the computer in question is a Packard Bell.  Is that correct?  This happen to be an HP user forum.

Top Student
pdsl999robinson
Message 7 of 9 (1,372 Views)

Professor, You are right indeed, It is a packard Bell computer.

By the way, I am speculating that my problem may just be the processor (intel core 2 Quad Processor Q6600).

What do you think. Take a look again at my trouble shooting strategy, what do you think about it?

I have approached PC world UK ( a large chain computer retailing shop) Here, in Doncaster, but they are charging £150 (150 GBP) just to look at a faulty computer they sold me 3 years. I THINK THIS A REAP OFF.

I prefer to fix the problem myself.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 8 of 9 (1,369 Views)

The troubleshooting steps seem to be OK.  Finding out the difference between whether the CPU is bad or the motherboard is bad is not easy.  Since the symptoms leading up to this condition have not been disclosed, it is more difficult to diagnose.  If this was sudden and no lockup or malfunctions prior to the no signal, then it more than likely is the motherboard.  If the computer was sluggish, non-responsive or just acting weird, and then it quit, then possibly the CPU.  If the CPU was too hot, then the computer should have been squealing before shutdown.  Power fluctuations or an outage leading up to shutdown, then it could be either CPU or motherboard or both.  Taking it to a shop, they would probably do their own troubleshooting and then replace the motherboard.  If that did not do the trick then replace the CPU.  Most shops do not want to spend the time and just replace parts until it works.  Of course you could do that but the parts are not as handy for the normal consumer as they are for a shop.  I would look for an adequate motherboard that will accommodate the CPU, fit the case and not too expensive.  Then assemble the pieces on a non-conductive table outside of the case to see if it works.  As a side note, I just completed doing that for a computer I was working on.  After getting it to work OK on the table, place known working parts in the case.

Top Student
pdsl999robinson
Message 9 of 9 (1,358 Views)

Professor, Many thanks for being patient with ME.

I have already been to computer repair shop and it has already costed me £55.58. The repair shop took my money and I got nothing in return. They claimed that they have tested it and have not identified the fault. I told them how I troubleshooted the problem. Guess what,  a young assistant in shop said 'We have done exactly what

you have done and we have not found the problem'. I felt really stupid to lose money I do Not have right now.

I have contacted packardbell and they are offering a new board at £226.64 included VAT and they want me to send them my faulty board and in return I will get £100 refund. I THINK THIS IS TOO MUCH FOR ME.

I am inclined to throw the whole thing in the bin.

AGAIN MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation