Question

Honor Student
DH_Florida
Message 1 of 2 (184 Views)

pavilion P7-1110

I tried to boot up my Pavilion P7-1110 this morning and only got a black screen with messages including:

Realtek PCle GBE Family Controller Series v2.38 (12/24/10)

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM

Error: no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed

I suspect that it's a hard drive issue? If so, I'm not really expecting to be able to fix it myself since I am not a technical person, but wanted to be sure there isn't something else I should do before I call for help or take my computer for repairs!

Thanks much! 

Professor
jaco1x4
Message 2 of 2 (173 Views)

Re: pavilion P7-1110

[ Edited ]

Hi DH,

Your conclusion is logical and valid!

Is your system under extended warranty? You could contact HP for assistance at the following link:

HP Support

Please see this HP article on how to test for hardware failures. It may help. Please refer to the BIOS diagnostic tests in particular. Did you create HP Vision Diagnostic Media? Boot your system using the media and run diagnostics. You could also download HP diagnostic software using another computer here and burn to DVD for use on your system. Look in the" Diagnostic download" section for the software you would need. You can select CD/DVD or USB option.

You could also remove the side panel on your tower and reseat HDD ( hard disk drive ) cable connections to the drive and mainboard. Also check the power connection.

It does appear to be a hard disk drive problem, cabling issue, or a hard disk controller problem. A HDD controller problem may indicate a mainboard failure.

It may be a good idea to find and request service from a reliable system builder if you are no longer under HP warranty and you are not comfortable with troubleshooting hardware failures.

Jaco

****I am not an HP employee****

Please give a" Kudos" if my advice is relevant or" Accept as Solution" if your problem has been solved.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
H8 1380t CTO, Intel i7 3820
16 GB DDR3
Pegatron Motherboard- IPIWB-PB (Pittsburgh), Radeon HD 7570 1GB. Win 7 Home Premium upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro.

Envy Phoenix 810-150se, Intel i7 4820k
12 GB DDR3
Pittsburgh2 Mainboard, NVIDIA GTX 645- 2GB GDDR5. Win 8.1 Pro.

HP 560z CTO AMD processor and chipset,
16 GB DDR3.
Radeon HD 6570
Win 7 Home Premium upgraded to Win 7 Pro.

HP ENVY 17t-j000 CTO Quad Edition Notebook. Win 8.0 Pro

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation