" BIOS Not ACPI Compliant " Error message installing Windows XP - Pavilion a850y (7128 Views)
Honor Student
HPa850y
Message 1 of 5 (7,128 Views)
Accepted Solution

" BIOS Not ACPI Compliant " Error message installing Windows XP - Pavilion a850y

Hello: My computer is a Pavilion a850y Pentium 4HT 3.8 MHz, just installed a new sata hard drive and tried to install Windows XP Home Edition. During the start of the install, right after the drivers loaded I got the following Message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If the screen appears again, follow these steps..

The Bios in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your vendor or visit http:www,hardware-update.com for an updated BIOS. If you are unable to obtain an updated BIOS or the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during next mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers. The system will not notify you that the F7 key was pressed - it will silently disable ACPI and allow you to continue installation.

Technical information: ***STOP:0x000000A5 (0x00000011,0x00000004,0x00000000,0x0000000)

Well, pressing F7 just stopped the install again at a blue screen with "Windows Setup" on the screen.

The only BIOS upgrade found on HP site needs Windows running to install.

My BIOS IS:  BIOS Revision 3,10 11/12/04  Core version 08.00.10  

Computer Product # PU005AV  S/N MXP450048D  Service ID: PU005AV-PU008AV

The only thing that was ever updated on this computer is the memory. The old hard drive is gone. I've tried another new hard drive with the same results. The installation of Windows XP justs stops after drivers load.

Anyone know where to get an update for the BIOS I can load from cd or floppy without Windows running?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

CDB

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 5 (7,124 Views)

Re: " BIOS Not ACPI Compliant " Error message installing Windows XP - Pavilion a850y

I've seen that error before when installing XP after a memory upgrade on Pavilion desktop. At the time, I just removed the extra memory and installed XP, then reinstalled the memory.

Odd thing is, I later installed XP again with no problems leaving the extra memory in.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Provost
Big_Dave
Message 3 of 5 (7,100 Views)

Re: " BIOS Not ACPI Compliant " Error message installing Windows XP - Pavilion a850y

Window XP doesn't like SATA drives unless you have an OEM XP disk with sata drivers built into it.

I see two options if you don't have an OEM XP installation disk with SATA drivers built into it.

1. Enter the bios and change the sata controller for the hard drives to run in IDE mode.

2. Acquire the correct sata drivers and use nLite to merge the drivers with your existing Windows disk and build a XP installation disk with sata support.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
HPa850y
Message 4 of 5 (7,073 Views)

After removing the RAM memory, I installed only 1 GB chip and was able to get Windows XP loaded. I then finshed installing the drivers that I downloaded from HP sight for this computer, the soud, graphics, ect and it is up and running. However the network driver seems to be the wrong one. Will be back to find that one after posting this. Thanks so much for your help CherylG! You hit the nail on the head!

CDB

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 5 (7,061 Views)

You're welcome, happy to hear you have XP installed. :smileyhappy:

For network try:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=6&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation