Question

Tutor
ForumUser59
Message 1 of 198 (150,865 Views)
Accepted Solution

"HPSF.exe has stopped working. This application has encountered a serious problem and must close."

[ Edited ]

I'm getting the above error message on a one month old HP Pavilion Desktop ( p6813w )  running Win7.

I see there are updates, but when I click on the HP Support Assistant w/ 'Recommended actions needed'...

it tells me HPSF.exe has stopped working and that I need to click 'okay' to automatically restart the application.

I click 'okay' and the window closes and does not restart.

ALSO: it's now saying, "HP Support Assistant can only be run by one user at a time.

Please switch to the user who is currently using HP Support Assistant. Etc"

Whatever in the world can that mean? :smileysad: 

Thanks for any up to date solutions or help you can provide.

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 2 of 198 (150,826 Views)

Re: "HPSF.exe has stopped working. This application has encountered a serious problem and must

Fungud,

It's part of HP Total Care/HP Advisor. You can re-install:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-78274-1

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Tutor
ForumUser59
Message 3 of 198 (150,822 Views)

Re: "HPSF.exe has stopped working. This application has encountered a serious problem and must

[ Edited ]

Hmmm, it's part of TotalCare ... to have 'serious problems'  that force a shut down of the service? And not be able to install updates? On a month old system??  Okay, whatever. I can cope with a little weirdness. No big deal.

But, the link you posted says it's for 'notebook/laptop models', mine is a desktop,

...should I go ahead and click on the download button? 

Hello, anyone home?

Can I just uninstall HP Support Assistance altogether?

Student
Ironhole
Message 4 of 198 (150,635 Views)

Fungud wrote:

I'm getting the above error message on a one month old HP Pavilion Desktop ( p6813w )  running Win7.

I see there are updates, but when I click on the HP Support Assistant w/ 'Recommended actions needed'...

it tells me HPSF.exe has stopped working and that I need to click 'okay' to automatically restart the application.

I click 'okay' and the window closes and does not restart.

ALSO: it's now saying, "HP Support Assistant can only be run by one user at a time.

Please switch to the user who is currently using HP Support Assistant. Etc"

Whatever in the world can that mean? :smileysad: 

Thanks for any up to date solutions or help you can provide.

Tutor
JOJOPAT55
Message 5 of 198 (150,606 Views)

HI i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 198 (150,596 Views)

Go to Control Panel, Programs & Features.Select HP Support Assistant and uninstall it. Restart your machine after removing it.

Next download the latest version for your machine from the link:

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/us/en/pclc/articles/hp-support-assistant.html?jumpid=ex_r602_go/hpsupp...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
JOJOPAT55
Message 7 of 198 (150,581 Views)

THANKYOU
Top Student
bbsitngldy
Message 8 of 198 (149,195 Views)

Thank you so much!  Simply reloading it wouldn't work, but when I uninstalled it first and then reloaded it as you said, it took care of the problem.  I was about to junk the computer.  Now, since I got that issue fixed, I was able to do a "tune up" and fix the computer.  THANK YOU  and yes, I clicked the star!

Top Student
tidi
Message 9 of 198 (149,075 Views)

Re. HPSF.exe has stopped working .This application encountered a serious problem..ty

Honor Student
sarahfreid46
Message 10 of 198 (148,567 Views)

i am having the same problem . please  tell me what to do.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation