"HPSF.exe has stopped working. This application has encountered a serious problem and must close." (130517 Views)
Top Student
ForumUser59
Message 1 of 188 (130,517 Views)
Accepted Solution

"HPSF.exe has stopped working. This application has encountered a serious problem and must close."

[ Edited ]

I'm getting the above error message on a one month old HP Pavilion Desktop ( p6813w )  running Win7.

I see there are updates, but when I click on the HP Support Assistant w/ 'Recommended actions needed'...

it tells me HPSF.exe has stopped working and that I need to click 'okay' to automatically restart the application.

I click 'okay' and the window closes and does not restart.

ALSO: it's now saying, "HP Support Assistant can only be run by one user at a time.

Please switch to the user who is currently using HP Support Assistant. Etc"

Whatever in the world can that mean? :smileysad: 

Thanks for any up to date solutions or help you can provide.

Regents Professor
wb2001
Message 2 of 188 (130,478 Views)

Re: "HPSF.exe has stopped working. This application has encountered a serious problem and must

Fungud,

It's part of HP Total Care/HP Advisor. You can re-install:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-78274-1

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

To say THANK YOU, press the white "thumbs up" on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB WIN7-64bit
Custom Asus P8P67 board, I7-2600k, WIN7 Pro 64bit, GTX670 2GB, 16GB RAM, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W
HP m8100eCTO WIN7 Ultimate 32bit. XFX5670 1GB, Rosewill 530W.
Printer -- OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus, HP Deskjet F4135

Top Student
ForumUser59
Message 3 of 188 (130,474 Views)

Re: "HPSF.exe has stopped working. This application has encountered a serious problem and must

[ Edited ]

Hmmm, it's part of TotalCare ... to have 'serious problems'  that force a shut down of the service? And not be able to install updates? On a month old system??  Okay, whatever. I can cope with a little weirdness. No big deal.

But, the link you posted says it's for 'notebook/laptop models', mine is a desktop,

...should I go ahead and click on the download button? 

Hello, anyone home?

Can I just uninstall HP Support Assistance altogether?

Student
Ironhole
Message 4 of 188 (130,279 Views)

Fungud wrote:

I'm getting the above error message on a one month old HP Pavilion Desktop ( p6813w )  running Win7.

I see there are updates, but when I click on the HP Support Assistant w/ 'Recommended actions needed'...

it tells me HPSF.exe has stopped working and that I need to click 'okay' to automatically restart the application.

I click 'okay' and the window closes and does not restart.

ALSO: it's now saying, "HP Support Assistant can only be run by one user at a time.

Please switch to the user who is currently using HP Support Assistant. Etc"

Whatever in the world can that mean? :smileysad: 

Thanks for any up to date solutions or help you can provide.

Top Student
JOJOPAT55
Message 5 of 188 (130,250 Views)

HI i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 188 (130,240 Views)

Go to Control Panel, Programs & Features.Select HP Support Assistant and uninstall it. Restart your machine after removing it.

Next download the latest version for your machine from the link:

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/us/en/pclc/articles/hp-support-assistant.html?jumpid=ex_r602_go/hpsupp...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
JOJOPAT55
Message 7 of 188 (130,229 Views)

THANKYOU
Top Student
bbsitngldy
Message 8 of 188 (128,843 Views)

Thank you so much!  Simply reloading it wouldn't work, but when I uninstalled it first and then reloaded it as you said, it took care of the problem.  I was about to junk the computer.  Now, since I got that issue fixed, I was able to do a "tune up" and fix the computer.  THANK YOU  and yes, I clicked the star!

Top Student
tidi
Message 9 of 188 (128,719 Views)

Re. HPSF.exe has stopped working .This application encountered a serious problem..ty

Honor Student
sarahfreid46
Message 10 of 188 (128,211 Views)

i am having the same problem . please  tell me what to do.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation