reinstall recovery partition - drive(e) on HP Pavilion a6230n Desktop PC gn561aar (1565 Views)
Top Student
DigitalSanDiego
Message 1 of 5 (1,565 Views)
Accepted Solution

reinstall recovery partition - drive(e) on HP Pavilion a6230n Desktop PC gn561aar

[ Edited ]

»HP Pavilion a6230n Desktop PC
Serial Number:   {Removed for privacy}
Product Number:   gn561aar

OS -W7 home premium 64-bit

I had problems with the computer a few weeks ago and had to do an Acronis disk/partition backup restore. The C:/drive (and all my other drives) are working like they should but E:/drive where the recovery partition is normal installed did not seem to restore like it should have. I recently had another problem and tried to do a restore using the HP recovery partition and got error messages that it was not found? I did not want to use the Acronis since the previously stated results.

The HP web site does not list my computer and I think I need to order a set of recovery disks from my web research, but I am going around in circles on the HP web site trying to find out where to order them or send an email to technical support. Seems like HP just wants to sell their hardware and then completely dump you after with no regard for needs later? I am very frustrated with HP since it seems that if you have not purchased the hardware in the last 90 days you are in their 'rear-view-mirror' when it comes to help?

I have yet to call their phone support since I have had 'experience' with their off-shore support in the past and really would like to avoid any new frustrating experience with the total HP support system.  Why can I not just ask a question and get a resolution - is that too much to ask?  Seemingly so...

Can anyone assist me in getting what I need to replace the recovery partition on my desktop computer and get it all working properly again? I thank you in advance for any assistance that will help resolve this problem. Robert

Distinguished Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 5 (1,556 Views)

Re: reinstall recovery partition - drive(e) on HP Pavilion a6230n Desktop PC gn561aar

The should have been a Recovery DVD set made (by you) when the computer was new.  If that was not done, maybe it still can be done.  See here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=ca&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3548...

That page also leads the user to an ordering link to get the Recovery Set from HP.  From the listed items for that PC, it leads me to conclude that Windows 7 was not the original OS.  That would explain the not being able to do the order from HP.

How did this PC come from HP? What OS?

{---------- Please click the "White Kudos" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Top Student
DigitalSanDiego
Message 3 of 5 (1,552 Views)

Re: reinstall recovery partition - drive(e) on HP Pavilion a6230n Desktop PC gn561aar

T/O/M,

Thank you for your timely response.

I did make a recovery disc a couple years ago but now cannot locate it/them after an exhaustive search effort.

You  are correct. The box came with Vista Home Pemium 32-bit to which I upgraded to W7 home premium 64-bit.

Updating to W7 was a no brainer and the 64-bit choice was made because Photoshop 5.5 and several other HDR and digital image post processing programs now have 64-bit version that run better and faster on a 64-bit system.

If you read or re-read my original query I state I had researched the web ( actually I used the exact same URL location you provided the link to) and again as I originally stated the HP web site could not locate my computer. I then tried the link to contact support after several links always seemed to 'circle' back to where I started. I do not see where "That page also leads the user to an ordering link to get the Recovery Set from HP." actually works?  And as also stated the HP web site is less than user friendly and seemingly designed that way!

If I cannot get the factory discs from HP, I am very wary of trying to got 'outside' as HP's web site because I really do not know what site(s) is/are good to get the disc(s) from and also have no idea of what to ask for since HP cannot find it my hardware so I have no product number or code to use in ordering recovery materials.

I fail to see where your reply solves my problem?  If I am missing something, please advise.

will be more than appreciative if you can provide a reply that resolves my problem. I anxiously await your resolution.

Robert

Distinguished Professor
TheOldMan
Message 4 of 5 (1,540 Views)

Well since the computer came with Vista, then the Recovery partition will be of no value other to reinstall Vista, which I assume is not what is wanted.  If the Windows 7 install disk is still available, then just reinstall Windows 7 from that disk and start new.  The original Vista was 32bit and the new Windows 7 is 64bit, so no "upgrade was/is possible but a new install anyways.  Since the other 64bit programs were added after the upgrade to Windows 7, the install programs will have to be rerun to get them installed after reinstalling Windows 64bit.  Otherwise, the Acronis image may be used.  Unless HP issued that same model computer with Windows 7 64bit, there will be no HP support and hense no recovery partition. Sorry

{---------- Please click the "White Kudos" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Top Student
DigitalSanDiego
Message 5 of 5 (1,531 Views)

T/O/M,

Thank you for your explanation. In the interim I also discussed the problem with an IT professional friend and he basically had the same comment as you. Since I upgraded to W7 64-bit that original partition for Vista would be of no further use anyhow. I have cleaned that sector and how have a few more GB of storage. Thanks again for the information and sorry to have wasted your time over basically a non-issue. Robert

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation