Question

Honor Student
kyle11121
Message 1 of 5 (15,700 Views)

sm bus controller driver

Hi... i am having a problem wit my computer.. i have an HP compaq dc5750 running windows XP professional. i cant use any usb device wit this computer..... and i don't know why... When i go to device manager, there is a big yellow question mark in front sm bus controller. can anyone help me locate the driver? i tried updating it myself but it did not work... please help me... Please and thanks

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 5 (15,687 Views)

Re: sm bus controller driver

[ Edited ]

kyle11121 wrote:

Hi... i am having a problem wit my computer.. i have an HP compaq dc5750 running windows XP professional. i cant use any usb device wit this computer..... and i don't know why... When i go to device manager, there is a big yellow question mark in front sm bus controller. can anyone help me locate the driver? i tried updating it myself but it did not work... please help me... Please and thanks

This is the driver that you should install. It is specifically for your chipset.

here are the release notes for the driver

TITLE: ATI Chipset Driver for Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows 2000

VERSION: 5.10.1000.6 Rev. A
DESCRIPTION:
This package contains the ATI SMBus Chipset Driver for the supported desktop 
models and operating systems. 

PURPOSE: Recommended
SOFTPAQ NUMBER: SP33927
SUPERSEDES: None
EFFECTIVE DATE: January 5, 2010
CATEGORY: Driver - Chipset
SSM SUPPORTED: No

PRODUCT TYPE(S):
Desktops

HARDWARE PRODUCT MODEL(S):
HP bc2000 Blade PC: All Models
HP bc2200 Blade PC: All Models
HP bc2500 Blade PC: All Models
HP bc2800 Blade PC: All Models
HP Compaq dc5750 Microtower PC: All Models

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
kyle11121
Message 3 of 5 (15,667 Views)

i found the driver on the hp support and download site. manually installed the driver and the computer is still unable to read any usb device connected to it... what do i do now?

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 5 (15,657 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The driver you asked for was the System management bus driver. It has a different function than the USB driver does.

USB controlllers are a different device. The USB drivers will be at the Windows Update website.

best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
faraz01blue
Message 5 of 5 (11,497 Views)

thanks dude ...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation