Question

Top Student
dstaubel
Message 1 of 4 (589 Views)

starting system recovery if the pc is not responding

I have a hp pavillion a815n that is 5-6 years old. it will not restart. When I power up, I get a DOS screen saying  "we apologize for the inconvenience but windows did not start successfully", and do i want to restart regularly, or in safe mode, or safe mode with networking, with command prompts use the last known good configurationetc. whatever I choose, it goes through the motions, then goes to the windows xp screen for a few seconds, then goes to the HP start up screen for a few seconds, then back to the same DOS page. this happens again and again no matter what option I choose. the HP start up screen has an option  (F10) that says it could try to reconfigure, but it would go back to the original settings and delete all user files.  we don't back up onto an external hard drive, so everything we've put on the machine would be gone. A friend said that if I tried the hp recovery system I would need discs that I should have created when I originally bought the machine, or an xp disc that came with the computer. I was never instructed to make a disc, or was I given hp discs with the machine. I have all the original stuff that came with the machine (manuals and discs for the monitor and printer, but no xp software). the steps listed on the F10 screen are: Selecting recovery option, hard disc preparation, copying files, and finalizing recovery. does anyone have any experience with this? what do I do now?

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 4 (564 Views)

Re: starting system recovery if the pc is not responding

DS, here is a guide to obtaining Recovery Discs for the computer if they are still available.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 4 (555 Views)

[ Edited ]

Can you select the Recovery option of Standard recovery or Destructive recovery? The Standard recovery just repairs XP and should keep your files intact .The Destructive recovery reformats C: and reinstalls XP fresh.The Destructive is actually the better option_but not in the instance where you don't have your files backed up. I would try the Standard recovery first and try to get back into XP to backup your files.Then later do the Desrtuctive recovery.

You should also have software on the PC to burn a Recovery Disk set which is highly recommended if/when you get XP back up and running.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 4 (552 Views)

HP System Recovery in Windows XP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&docname=bph07145&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USE...

Creating Recovery Disc Set in XP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&rule=69&product=3696841&docna...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation