surface scan test failure - error code hd535-2w (8326 Views)
Student
teddy249100
Message 1 of 9 (8,326 Views)

surface scan test failure - error code hd535-2w

product hp pavilion a 633 of PC. Windows vista. My system ran the usual test and it failed the surface scan test. An error code was supplied - hd 535 - 2w. What does this mean and how do I correct the problem? I'm not very good with computers. Any help would be appreciated. Have a great day. Thanks for your time. Pam

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 9 (8,306 Views)

Re: surface scan test failure - error code hd535-2w

[ Edited ]

teddy249100 wrote: product hp pavilion a 633 of PC. Windows vista. My system ran the usual test and it failed the surface scan test. An error code was supplied - hd 535 - 2w. What does this mean and how do I correct the problem? I'm not very good with computers. Any help would be appreciated. Have a great day. Thanks for your time. Pam

Hello teddy249100, This message appears to be a warning that the hard drive is failing.

I would backup my data as soon as possible. You should also have a set of HP Recovery Restore disk, since if the hard drive fails, you would need these Recovery disk set to reinsatll the operating system and all your software that came with the HP system.

Here  is a link that has some information on this issue.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 3 of 9 (8,298 Views)

Hi Pam,

The test result would indicate that you need to replace the Hard Drive.

The product number you mention ( a633 ) may not be complete, are there any more numbers, letters etc?

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
lin062147
Message 4 of 9 (8,142 Views)

How do I solve this problem. The test said that the surface scan test failed. Thank You for your help.  Linda

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 9 (8,141 Views)

You can purchase a hdd from a retail store to replace the failing hdd.As long as you have HP Recovery Disks ,either burned or ordered from HP, you can reinstall back to factory specs on a new hdd.

To offer more help we really need the full model number of your machine.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
courtlenn
Message 6 of 9 (1,805 Views)

Everytime my pc runs this diagnostic test I get an error code surface scan test ...error cole had535-2w.

It's been doing it for several years now.  I have found no solutions the few times I did a search on how to correct this.  I have a Compag Presario  purchased maybe 4 years ago.  No discs with it and bought it as a package deal at Best Buy.  Cheapo pc ... but it suits my purposes... which is email and web surfing..

No one seems able to tell me anything that works to correct the problem if there is one.  Like I said it's been doing it now for four years and no problems other than internet and windows internet explorer has stopped working like happens each time I am on computer.. intermittently.  I've learned to live iwth it tho.  Not worth investing in another desktop pc.  and I am connected to the internet with verizon FIOS....tv, phone and internet.

I've veen told to run digrag, virus, malware scan, etc. and something about moving the start button and nothing worked... it still fails the test each time... for last 4 years  Oh, forgot to mention it also gets the blue screen of death if I do not let my slide show screensaver run.  Like forgetting to take down a webpage and leave computer... then it goes to the blue screen of death!  If I let the slide show run it keeps it from crashing.  The screen saver slide show of the pics on my computer keeps it from crashing, ie.  Still not worth purchasing a new desktop tv.  Learned to live ith it all.  If anyone has a clue would be nice to firugre out what the real problem is.  Maybe just cause it's an el cheapo pc. 

Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 9 (1,797 Views)

[ Edited ]

@courtlenn 

If you read through the Replies on this thread you will see that the error usually indicates a bad or failing hard drive. Bad sectors on the hdd will cause surface scan errors. It can also cause the issues you are having with Internet Explorer crashing and the blue screen of death you get intermittenly. You should be able to replace the faulty hdd at a fairly inexpensive price from Best Buy or other retail store. They are pretty easy to install yourself. But you will need to boot from Recovery Discs to reinstall Windows. You should have software on your machine to burn a Recovery Disc set. You don't mention what OS you are running so I will post both.

Creating Recovery Media

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
Patknits
Message 8 of 9 (1,446 Views)

what does surface scan test failed HD535-2W and SMART Short Self test failed HD521-2W mean? Can I correct these failed tests?

Provost
CherylG
Message 9 of 9 (1,414 Views)

@Patknits 

It means you need to replace your hard drive. A retail hdd can be used.Just be sure to get one of at least as large a capacity as the original to use HP Recovery Discs to reinstall Windows on it. It can be larger capacity but not smaller.For instance if you have a 320gb hdd you could use a 500gb but not a 250gb hdd.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation