Question

Student
jewelcat
Message 1 of 9 (3,637 Views)

system doesn't recognize usb drive for creating recovery media

Hi,

I want to create the recovery media with a flash drive on my hp h8-1080p. I have a 32 gb sandisk cruiser but the system doesn't recognize it. What solutions do you recommend?

I have a desktop with windows 7 home premium

Intern
Sardukkan
Message 2 of 9 (3,607 Views)

Re: system doesn't recognize usb drive for creating recovery media

Same here.  Looked all though the help sectio nand every yime I run accoss this exact issue there are no replies.

My Computer sees the drive.  The default format of the drive is fat32, I've tried deleteing the volume and recreating it as a ntfs.  Recovery creator never sees the drive.  It's not displaying and grayed out, it just doesn't show up.

System in question is a HP n8-1226 Win 7 Home 64 Bit.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 3 of 9 (3,585 Views)

@Sardukkan,

What is the exact size, brand, and model of the flash drive being used?  The flash drive will need to be 32GB or less.  I take it the creation process makes it to the following screen and that's where it is not listed.

Is the flash drive detected in Computer where the other drives are listed?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 9 (3,585 Views)

@jewelcat,

In the past, Sandisk Cruzer's had special "launching" software installed on them.  Is this a clean formatted Cruzer or does it still have the included software on the USB drive?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Intern
Sardukkan
Message 5 of 9 (3,575 Views)

You are correct, I never see ANY drive listed in the Screen cap you posted.

I've tried both of these and both a new out of the box.  Both have had the existing volume wiped and a new clean NTS wolume created and formated.

Both of the drive appeared normaly in Compuer and I could read and write to them

SanDisk CZ60 32GB USB Flash Drive

Model#: SDCZ60032GAW46

SanDisk CZ60 16GB USB Flash Drive

Model#: SDCZ60016GAW46

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 6 of 9 (3,568 Views)

Based on this, you are not the only one with an issue creating the USB recovery media on a Sandisk flash drive.  I'm not certain why it would seem it's not working on Sandisk drives, but CherylG recommended getting a non-Windows 8 certified flash drive.  The OP in the thread stated they got a PNY flash drive, but didn't specify if it was Windows 8 certified or not.  Another user had an issue with a Sandisk drive (granted, it was larger than the max size listed here), but was given a workaround by Pepe999.

Out of curiosity, are the Sandisk drives being listed under Hard Disk Drives or under Devices with Removable Storage?

Reviewing the OP's image in this thread, the Sandisk was added to the Hard Disk Drives category instead of the Devices with Removable Storage.  If it is under Hard Disk Drives, then Windows doesn't treat it as a flash drive (where the USB recovery utility gets the drive information) and won't be listed in the utility. 

Signature
Intern
Sardukkan
Message 7 of 9 (3,561 Views)

That must be it!  It is listed under hard drives and not removable storage.

I can't tell what it was listed as before I removed the volume and recreated it as a NTFS during my TS of the issue.

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 8 of 9 (3,534 Views)

Reviewing this document, it looks like Sandisk started manufacturing flash drives as fixed disks (non-removable storage) to be Windows 8 certified.  I had seen several suggestions in the HP forums suggesting to get a USB flash drive that is not Windows 8 certified and this must be why.

Since not every flash drive supports flipping the removable drive bit, I would recommend getting a non-Windows 8 certfied flash drive.

Signature
Top Student
JonB-AZ
Message 9 of 9 (2,724 Views)

Problem: When attempting to create a recovery USB drive using HP Support Assistant, the program hangs when it says "Please insert one of the following", with a spinning wheel at the bottom.

I had this problem with an HP Touchsmart 15 running Windows 8.1 and using a SanDisk 32GB USB drive.  I contacted HP technical support and they reported that the HP Support Assistant does not support the creation of recovery media using a SanDisk USB.  I was told they only support USB's from "large" companies like HP and Sony, not from "small" companies like SanDisk.

I replaced the SanDisk USB drive with an HP USB drive (32GB) and the creation of the recovery disk was successful.  I do not know if a Sony would work, as I have not tried it, but tech support said that it would.

Note that the creation of a "Recovery" disk from Windows 8.1 will not provide for a full reinstall of the operating system.  It says that a 256K drive is needed, which is clearly not enough to hold the full operating system.  The Windows "Recovery" disk only allows for booting from the USB (or DVD) drive.  If you select to reinstall the OS, it will prompt you to insert the Windows disk and Product Key.  Which you probably don't have, since they are not generally shipped with OEM computers.  So it is necessary to create a full recovery disk using the HP Support Assistant, which can be used to reinstall the OS.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation