Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I need to uninstall this prog in order to install Win8.1 pro but uninstall says that I must uninstall HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager first. It's not shown in the Control Panel under Progs and Features. how do I do it, can you help?
HP Recommended

Hi Sa_Ti,

The date is what you are looking for the BIOS update. You need to check your version first. Here is a link to do that.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07110

I would also do the Chipset driver. This could also help.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

HI Rjr6235,

I understand you need to uninstall the HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager in order to install Windows 8.1. Try going to the HP Support Assistant. If your not sure or do not have it, you can download here at this link.

http://h18021.www1.hp.com/helpandsupport/hp-self-support.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Mrsenter,

FINALLY GOT IT WORKING! 

After 50+ hours of installs, uninstalls and reboots I found the problem and fix.

Problem: Everytime I uninstalled the fingerprint driver it automatically re-installed itself with these files

C:\Windows\system32\ATSwpWDFColnst.dll
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\ATSwpWDF.sys
C:\Windows\system32\WdfCoinstaller01007.dll

After this happened a funny thing happens. The option Device Manager_Other devices_ Fingerprint Sensor then dissapears

Fix:

Just after the fingerprint driver reinstalls itself theres a window of about 20 secs where the option Device Manager_Other devices_ Fingerprint Sensor still appears. At this point I right clicked and updated that driver as per instructions http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/DigitalPersona-AuthenTec-finger....

The correct files for the fingerprint driver are now:

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\ATSwpWDF.sys
C:\Windows\system32\TrueSuitColnst02020000.dll
C:\Windows\system32\WdfCoinstaller01009.dll
C:\Windows\system32\WinBioPlugins\ATEngineAdapter.dll

And now it works...

Tip: Download fingerprint Driver before and have it extracted so you can make the 20 sec window for updating the driver

Many thanks,

Sa

HP Recommended

I have tried the solution to diable the HP Protect Tools Security Manager without any luck.  I still have a long delay starting up. Then I get a message :Log on without bio--- function" If I don't click it soon enough I have to go through the wait again. I too have tried to uninstall the program without any luck. I have an HP Compaq Elite 8300, it has a touch screen.

I hope you can help. 

L Palmer

HP Recommended

Easier way to Remove HP ProtectTools is Re-run Installer then choose Uninstall. If you see a dialogue ask you to preserve old information, click No. After done that work, restart your machine and go to Control Panel - User Accounts, click on Remove your password, Enter your old password and press Remove. Goodluck!

HP Recommended

Hi MrsTenter,

I tried to uninstall the HP Protect Tools Security Manager and the protecttools disappeared out of the list, BUT it is still running every time I log in and it blocks the standard finger print function of windows. 

As I cannot uninstall it in the normal way, please indicate how I can eradicate it from the system after it is hiding. 

Thanks 

Phil

HP Recommended

I found that the HP Protect Tools were causing the problem. I did however have to update to the most recent version to uninstall the HP Security Suite. After that, the error has been resolved.

Updating can be done with the installed HP support assistant software.

HP Recommended

uninstall hp protectool sicurty manege

HP Recommended

Running Windows 8.1

Upgrade to Win10 fails due to CSM is not compatible.

Uninstalling CSM Drive Encryption fail - demands that drive encryption is disabled in HP Client Security Manager.
In HP Client Security - drive encryption IS NOT enabled. Has never been.

Catch 22. 

Please advise

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.