Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have this issue trying to upgrade from Win7 to Win10.  During setup of installation of W10, I get the message that some Apps need to be uninstalled because they aren't compatible with the upgrade:  HP Protect Tools Security Manager.

Problem is that HP Protect Tools Device Access Manager must be uninstalled first.  I did that and it dissapeared from the Program list.  Then when attempting to uninstall the Security Manager, I get that Access Manager needs to be uninstalled first.  Vicious loop.

How do I uninstall something that can't be uninstalled through the Control Panel?

I have no idea how far into the installation of W10 I am and what to do next.

HP Recommended

FIXED!

I downloaded an uninstaller via the website advanceduninstaller.com

Once you install and run the software it lets you sellect what you want to uninstall.  I ran into several more that had to be removed in order to uninstall the Security Manager.

At this point, I went back to the W10 install and it was happy it was gone and proceded with the install.  If I run into additional issues, I'll report back.

HP Recommended

Had issues with windows 7, fixed it but now I get the HP security login, put my password in and I get "Invalid Pointer"

Tried uninstalling  the HP security Manager to use the window only log in screen, but won't let me.

HP Recommended

I'm trying to install Windows 10 on my HP laptop which currently has Windows 7.  It says I need to remove HP ProtectTools Security Manager, but it won't uninstall this until I remove HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager, which I can't locate under Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features >  Uninstall or Change a Program. 

Can you help me with these steps so I can finish installing Windows 10?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

HI,

Just ran into the same problem. You need to download HP Device Access Manager from HP Support site for your product and install it. Then reboot. And now it is shown (of course) in Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features >  Uninstall or Change a Program and can be removed.

Afterwards the Protect Tools Securtity Manager can be removed also.

BR,

Thomas

HP Recommended

I've got a different error when trying to uninstall hptsm, im getting an error 1325 . Hewlett-Packard is not a valid short file? any ideas on uniinstalling it,  i even tried to put a new copy on but it gave the same error wile trying to intall?security tool error.jpg

HP Recommended

But I forgot to mention I'm also trying to install windows 10 and don't want to reintall windows 7 before i can install 10 any help would be apprciated

mike

HP Recommended

Hi

Unfortunately it don't work like that at my HP ProBook 4530s - I have an other user menu and I can't change HP Protect Tools Manager from enable to disable and in the same way unistall the Protect Tools Security from the computer.
Also it's impossible to upgrade Windows 7 x64 pro to Windows 10 x64 pro - Windows 10  upgrade demanded uninstalling HP Protect Security Manager and Active Check component for HP Active Support Library.
Thank a lot in advance for help.

HP Recommended

Thanks.

This solution worked.

HP Recommended

I did click start

all program

select HP protrt tools security manager

There wasnowhere to click settings

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.