Question

Tutor
Maverick32
Message 1 of 17 (15,081 Views)

uninstall windows 8.1 update

Is there a way to uninstall the Windows 8.1 Update that came out on Oct. 17?  I want to go back to 8.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 17 (15,071 Views)

Re: uninstall windows 8.1 update

[ Edited ]

If your notebook was delivered with Windows 8 it is pretty straightforward. You can use the HP Recovery Manager.

You will have to reinstall all of the programs that you installed after you first setup your notebook.

Save your documents, photos, music and video to an external disk or risk losing them. 

What is it about Windows 8.1 that makes you want to rollback to Windows 8?

Personally, I find the addition of the Windows icon on the desktop and the on-click shutdown pretty nice.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
Maverick32
Message 3 of 17 (15,003 Views)

What makes me want to go back is a program that ran flawlessly  on Windows 8, now with the update, whenever I start this program I get an error message that says Windows has encountered a problem and will now shut down and then it closes out.

Honor Student
hawkinsmp
Message 4 of 17 (13,899 Views)

[ Edited ]

Since i have installed 8.1 i have had nothing but problems. accelometerst.exe was deleted, and i can't reinstall the 3D hardrive on here. have had several messages that "windows has encountered and error and needs to restart" also my  windows 7 backup and recovery is totally useless.

No such thing in 8.1 This is a M$ nightmare. I really don't want to take two days to reinstall all the apps that are on this machine. Also had the same problem as the other individual with the wifi. Had to delete the current connection and set it up again to get it to work.

Mke Hawkins

Student
Dafney
Message 5 of 17 (13,735 Views)

I also need to uninstall 8.1. I bought a laptop with 8 on to connect remotely to my work place, now I cannot connect because the new browser (explorer 11 I believe) is not supported. If I can't fix this it will be £600 down the drain!

HP Support Agent
Lil_Lisa27
Message 6 of 17 (13,383 Views)

Hello,

I understand that you are wanting to restore your system back to Windows 8, as Internet Explorer is not compatible with work. According to the Microsoft forum website, it is not an option to install previous versions of Internet Explorer onto a Windows 8.1. I have included the link here to the Microsoft Community Forum.

To restore your computer back to Windows 8. I have included the following document 'Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 8)'. This will walk you through the steps of the restore, as well as provide you with the information on what a restore is.

Please let me know if this works for you, thank you.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Lil_Lisa27
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
hi123456
Message 7 of 17 (12,410 Views)

I upgraded to windows 8.1 now i want to revert back to windows 8

Tutor
Maverick32
Message 8 of 17 (12,398 Views)

I was able to go back to Windows 8 by formating my laptop with the HP recovery discs.

HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 9 of 17 (12,146 Views)

Hello hi123456

If I understand correctly you did the Windows 8.1 upgrade and now want to revert back to Windows 8.0? This can be done simply by following the HP Support document titled Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 8). By simply restoring your system back to a point in time before you did the update your system will automatically be restored.

I hope this answers your question. Thank you for bringing your question to the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Honor Student
Humanitystronge
Message 10 of 17 (12,120 Views)

Hi,
The problem is that it only restore it to only 1 hour or so, ago! And I'm still stuck with windows 8.1 and I can do nothing...
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation