Question

Honor Student
xrosy7859x
Message 1 of 7 (465 Views)

windows vista home premium pc, HP Pavillion A6630

Hi

When my partner was using my pc last night, and suddenly the screen went white with black and coloured lines, horizontally, then wavy.

The computer froze, and when my partner tried to turn the pc back on, nothing happened.

The fans started up, but the orange light for the hardrive, did not come on.

Can anyone help, or is my computer broken beyond repair?

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 7 (440 Views)

Re: windows vista home premium pc, HP Pavillion A6630

This sounds more like a hardware failure.  Beyond repair? probably not.  Is this your computer?: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01553738&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3816059&too...

Since there is no mention of any screen activity upon restart, unplug the computer, try opening the case and removing the video card.  Reconnect the monitor to the onboard graphics port and try a restart (after plugging the computer back in)  If that does not help, start with this page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph06788&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=...

Report back with any findings.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
xrosy7859x
Message 3 of 7 (430 Views)

Apologies, my pc is actually an HP A6657 Pavillion. The graphics card is on the motherboard, so unsure where to go from here, shall I still try the links above?

Honor Student
xrosy7859x
Message 4 of 7 (427 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply, to my 1st question.

Since I have told you the proper model number, I have tried to start the tower with no wires connected i.e. the mouse, keyboard, and the monitor, but still we cannot get the tower to work.

The monitor is fine as I am using it with this spare pc that we have.

The power light stays on, but the monitor light goes orange (it should be blue when powered on.)

Also when the tower is 1st turned on, the orange light comes on momentarilly for the hardrive, you can hear the fans working, but nothing else seems to happen after that?

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 5 of 7 (419 Views)

Since there is no video card, it must be this one: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01588219&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3821836&too...

Did you pursue the troubleshooting steps on this page? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph06788&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=...

Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

Honor Student
xrosy7859x
Message 6 of 7 (397 Views)

Re: windows vista home premium pc, HP Pavillion A6657

We tried the steps you sent us in last message, we are still no further forward.

Do you think it could be the motherboard that has stopped working?

Thanks again for your help, and in anticipation of more info, if you have anything more for us to try?

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 7 of 7 (392 Views)

Re: windows vista home premium pc, HP Pavillion A6657

If using the troubleshooting steps shows the power supply is OK, then it possible could have failed due to heat.  Now the rub, if the insides were clean and dust free before this happened, then hard to tell just what failed.  It is probably beyond the normal DIY person without extra parts to try.  It could be the CPU, the motherboard, the memory or the hard drive.  Just one last thing, make sure nothing is connected to the computer other than the keyboard, mouse and monitor.  If that was not the setup. try that scenario.  Other than that, good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation