Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello.

I am thinking about adding a SSD to my Desktop Pavilion P6-2378 and wanted to check the UEFI-BIOS and I can not seem to be able to access it. I have read a little on this board and followed several instructions that was given. I tried with constantly pressing F10 from restart and from a complete shut down. I can't seem to find any info about this in my computer help either. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unless you can tap the ESC key at better than 256 times a second then try the following:

• While on the Start screen type “BIOS” or "UEFI".
  • Under “Settings” select “Advanced Startup Options”.bios_search.jpg
  • Under the “General” menu item, scroll to the bottom.
  • Under “Advanced Startup” click “Restart Now” button. advanced_startup_2.jpg
  • When the “Choose an Option” screen appears, select “Troubleshoot”. advanced_startup_3.jpg
  • In the Troubleshoot menu select “Advanced Options”. advanced_startup_4.jpg
  • In the Advanced Options menu select “UEFI Firmware Settings”. uefi.jpg
  • Click the “Restart” button to boot into the “Setup Utility” (UEFI) screen. uefi_restart.jpg
  • When the laptop restarts, the UEFI screen will be displayed.
HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi:

On my HP 8200 Elite CMT Business PC with a UEFI BIOS, I need to tap the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get a menu of options.  I cannot just hit F10 or F9 (boot options) like the good old days.

There you should find the F10 prompt listed amongst the options provided.

HP Recommended

I've tried that and it did not work for me. I have a new graphics card in and it doesn't seem to fire up the monitor right away. I've been messing with this for too long today and I have to walk away for a while:smileysad:  Thank you, Paul...I've been reading that many have problems with this and there are so many different solutions...it's kinda' crazy.

HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't work for your model.

I hope you can figure out the answer.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Unless you can tap the ESC key at better than 256 times a second then try the following:

• While on the Start screen type “BIOS” or "UEFI".
  • Under “Settings” select “Advanced Startup Options”.bios_search.jpg
  • Under the “General” menu item, scroll to the bottom.
  • Under “Advanced Startup” click “Restart Now” button. advanced_startup_2.jpg
  • When the “Choose an Option” screen appears, select “Troubleshoot”. advanced_startup_3.jpg
  • In the Troubleshoot menu select “Advanced Options”. advanced_startup_4.jpg
  • In the Advanced Options menu select “UEFI Firmware Settings”. uefi.jpg
  • Click the “Restart” button to boot into the “Setup Utility” (UEFI) screen. uefi_restart.jpg
  • When the laptop restarts, the UEFI screen will be displayed.
HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thank you,  Dean,  for your absolutely crystal clear answer. It worked perfectly.

HP Recommended

i tried this,my computer power switch turns amber and beeps continuously,held power button to turn off,then turned back on and it beeps again,i had to pull the power cord after switching off,then when i turned it on it booted to windows,i have a p6-2307a with updated graphics card and power supply to match card,

HP Recommended

I have had the same problem with adding an upgraded Video Card to my p6 2378 with Windows 8. The solution for me was I had to remove the upgraded card, the go through the previous recommended steps to enter the bios. When you get to the bois you have to disable 'Secure Boot' and enable 'Legacy Boot'. Then turn off and reinstall the video card. It has worked perfectly after that.

HP Recommended

hadn't thought of that,will give it a try,thanks

HP Recommended

im trying to install a new graphics card on my new hp envy 700. i was told i need to get in the bios and change the settings. so i followed these steps and the thing is. when i get to the last restart sceen and click restart i get a black screen and i get nothing. so therefor i cant get into the settings i need to get in to. any solutions?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.