Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
All in One 21
Linux

Hi,

I purchased an HP All in One 21 around a year ago. It came with Windows 8.1, which ran decent. I upgraded it to Windows 10 awhile ago and it seems unstable (as my wifi driver fails after an update). 

Irritated by instability, I wiped the entire disk and installed Ubuntu. Now, I want to trade this computer to my dad and I need to reinstall Windows again, but I don't have any installation disc or activation code.

Is there anyway I can get a genuine Windows running on my machine again? I can provide receipt, purchase date, etc.

Best regards & Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome!

HP computers that have Windows preinstalled (a.k.a. OEM Windows) have recovery partitions that can be used for recovery to factory default condition - example, they can wipe some partitions and reinstall Windows that came preinstalled.

If you had Windows , it was possible to create a recovery media for reinstallation of Windows. If this was not done prior to installing Ubuntu, then you need a recovery media now.

Your options are:

-1- continue using GNU/Linux > Ubuntu (or get Linux Mint) and give it to your dad. I am sure he will like Linux - great operating system. Linux Mint www.linuxmint.com is based on Ubuntu but is considered more user-friendly, somewhat more stable and similar to Windows desktop experience.

-2- contact HP support for obtaining recovery media (either DVDs or USB pen drive). HP can send you recovery media that can be used to reinstall Windows (e.g. Windows 8.1) and this will return your computer to the condition it was upon purchase - factory default.  More info:

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

Please, provide your feedback and let me know if it works for you.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome!

HP computers that have Windows preinstalled (a.k.a. OEM Windows) have recovery partitions that can be used for recovery to factory default condition - example, they can wipe some partitions and reinstall Windows that came preinstalled.

If you had Windows , it was possible to create a recovery media for reinstallation of Windows. If this was not done prior to installing Ubuntu, then you need a recovery media now.

Your options are:

-1- continue using GNU/Linux > Ubuntu (or get Linux Mint) and give it to your dad. I am sure he will like Linux - great operating system. Linux Mint www.linuxmint.com is based on Ubuntu but is considered more user-friendly, somewhat more stable and similar to Windows desktop experience.

-2- contact HP support for obtaining recovery media (either DVDs or USB pen drive). HP can send you recovery media that can be used to reinstall Windows (e.g. Windows 8.1) and this will return your computer to the condition it was upon purchase - factory default.  More info:

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

Please, provide your feedback and let me know if it works for you.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hey! Thanks for the reply! Pretty helpful 🙂

Since I'm pretty sure my dad won't like Ubuntu in any way. I checked out the second solution and found out that it's around $30 to get a recovery stick, so that's not going to work out for me. 

Guess I'll regret not having burned a recovery disk when I was still on Windows.

HP Recommended

You are most welcome!

Yes, the recovery media is about 30 USD. In my opinion this is way cheaper than purchasing new licence and new installation media for clean Windows from Microsoft . If you plan to use Windows this is the cheapest official variant as you miss recovery media and license

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.