Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 110
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After signing in to computer, it keeps flashing on and off, on and off, cannot even click on anything.  I hooked up laptop to monitor and it is working fine.  Rehooked up desktop and doing same thing.  Have rebooted, ran Systems Tests, nothing helps.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

> I hooked up laptop to monitor and it is working fine. 

> Rehooked up [to] desktop and doing same thing. 

If you boot your desktop into "Safe Mode", where the monitor is being driven in "low-resolution" mode, does it still "flash"?

Does your monitor "flash" when hooked-up to some other desktop computer, e.g., a friend's system?

If not, then what "display-resolution" is being used, e.g,. 1024 by 800 by 60 Hertz ???

If you connect your friend's monitor to your computer, what "display-resolution" is active?  Any "flashing"?

+----------+----------------+---------------+

| testing  | other computer | your computer |

| other    | (no flashing)  |     ?         |

| monitor  |                |               |

| your     |     ?          |   (flashing)  |

| monitor  |                |               |

It may be possible that your copy of Windows is trying to use a "high-resolution" setting that the monitor cannot process.

What "display-resolution" is your Windows trying to use?

HP Recommended

Unable to boot anything or click on anything as desktop keeps flashing on and off before I can get anything open.

HP Recommended

> Unable to boot anything or click on anything as desktop keeps flashing on and off before I can get anything open.

OK.  Please run those tests, to fill-in that grid that I put into my posting.

HP Recommended

Hooked up 3 different monitors/tv's to this desktop.  Does the same thing on all of them.  I live in remote area, unable to use friend's computer.

HP Recommended

> Does the same thing on all of them.

Then, it must be a "video" problem on your computer.

Your computer could either have an "add-in" video-card, or "integrated video" (part of the motherboard).

If the former, you need to replace that "add-in" video-card.

If the latter, when you add-in a video-card, the integrated "onboard" video-card will be disabled.

Move the video-cable from the "onboard" connector to the "add-in" connector.

HP Recommended

Don't know how to do any of that stuff.  Also last week my husband said some "Radeon Settings" kept trying to download to the desktop .  What is that?

HP Recommended

> Don't know how to do any of that stuff. 

It's time to find a computer technophile (spouse? friend? computer repair technician) to do further trouble-shooting.

> Also last week my husband said some "Radeon Settings" kept trying to download to the desktop .  What is that?

The video-adapter in your computer is made by a company named 'AMD', and 'Radeon' is the model identifier.

Compare to 'FORD' making cars, and 'Focus' being one of their model-lines.

So, there is updated software from AMD for your Radeon video-adapter, which is being offered as a free download to your computer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.