Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My dvd/cd-rw drive is recognized in windows 7 and stated as working but when I go to open it I get "an error ocurred while ejecting dvd/cd-rw drive" and nothing happens. Two days prior I had burned a recovery disc from AVG to trouble shoot a problem on another computer and all went well. The next time I went to use it the error message appeared. I have reinstalled the drivers and deleted the upper and lower filters in the regedit as recommended by Microsoft with no results. Any help will be much appreciated, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I replaced  th DVD/CD drive and all works well now. The problem was the original DVD/CD drive failed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello,

I understand that you are having an issue with not being able to open the DVD/CD-RW Drive, and getting an error message. I have included the following document, 'CD-ROM, DVD, or other disc tray not opening'. Scroll down to the CD stuck within the drive portion, and follow the instructions to see if you can open the drive. Check for any loose debris in the drive. After try using the actual button to eject the tray.

If this fails  to get the tray working properly, please provide me with the full model number of your computer. I have included the document, 'Guide to finding your product number'.

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Lisa, thanks for the response. The full model number of the computer is h8-1012c. the product number is QN604AA#ABC. The tray opens using the paper clip method outlined in the link you sent but at no time does there appear to be power to the unit. I tried opening the drive with the button as the computer was booting up, as suggested in the link, without any success. 

Thanks, Don

HP Recommended

Hello Don,

Thank you for the information. At this point, it is a hardware issue with the DVD/CD tray. I would suggest contacting technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl. As they can tell you about repair or replacement options.

For a work around that you can try. Open up my Computer and right click on the E: drive, and click on Eject. This should work without any CD or DVD installed.

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I replaced  th DVD/CD drive and all works well now. The problem was the original DVD/CD drive failed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.