Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 870-095na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After last week's MS Patch Tuesday I have had KB4013214 installed (Upgrade and Privacy Experience update) and I was wondering when Creators Update will start appearing there soon.

I did also spot that HP Assistant has updated itself either - which may (or may not) be related.

So this poses the question: Did anybody here get Windows 10 Creators Update installed automatically (sort of, not via Upgrade Assistant) via Windows Update yet?

Apologies if this question has been asked already...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

WAWood,

I also use Macrium Reflect free.

Great program.

Krezmein,

Spybot Anti-Beacon may be one of the reasons why Microsoft is not pushing newer versions of Windows 10 to your PC.

Tom

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

@krzemien

Unfortunately, MS will not tell you when the CU will be applied to your PC, or how they determine when to do that.

On the Anniversary Update (AU), although I have three PCs that were updated to Win10 the same day originally, the AU's were weeks apart!

I used the Update Assistant because I wanted to update one PC to see how it went and then control when I updated the other two.

I don't believe there is any way to determine when a particular PC is goind to be updated through Windows Update, sorry.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

Yeah, I know that MS will drip-feed CU to us minions according to some wicked schedule of theirs at some stage but I was more interested in knowing whether HP has cleared it in some way with them - or has to? - and whether anybody else on relatively new hardware as well (mine's few months old, Skylake spec etc.) did receive it already?

I am not in a rush at all and will refrain from updating manually using Upgrade Assistant - I'm happy with the machine as it currently is.

HP Recommended

@krzemien

Actually, I updated the way I did because I was concerned about problems with the update trashing my PC -- as the Anniversary Update did.

So, since you likely have similar concerns, let me suggest the following:

1) Do a full backup to external media -- more on this below

2) Download the Update Assistant from MS

3) Run the Update Assistant to do the CU

4) See how that goes, and if it went poorly, restore your PC from the backup you made.

-------------

I personally prefer to use third-party Recovery solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

-----------------------------

This allows you to "try out" the CU without worring about your PC being trashed in the process.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks - and no, thanks, I do not have time to faff around forth and back with upgrades / restores.

And I do not have any concerns (just yet).

I will await somebody's update when CU appears in WU - or will update this thread once I'm notified about it.

HP Recommended

Bumpety-bump!

Anybody got Win 10 Creators Update (automatically, via Windows Update, on relatively fresh HP machine) yet?

I'm still on Anniversary Update, no sign of invitation from MS to get updated... Which I find rather strange as there's another release (Fall Creators Update) just around the corner...

Also, it does look like it's fixing teething and anoying issue with LED Omen Control not toind its job

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Re-Omen-Light-Control-issues/m-p/6275356#M1172

HP Recommended

And yet another bumpety-bump?

Anybody got Win 10 Creators Update (automatically, via Windows Update, on relatively fresh HP machine) yet?

HP Recommended

Hi krzemien

WAWood's suggestions are on target. The trick is to preserve your existing OS should something go wrong.

You stated you don't have time to mess with this.

That's cool. :generic:

My approach is to clone the existing OS installation to a second HDD or SSD.

Boot the cloned drive to check all is well.

Do the update on the cloned drive.

Nothing gained or lost as you still have a good image on the original disk.

Grzy

HP Recommended

I will then wait more! No rush as all is fine and I sincerely doubt Creators Update (or even Fall Creators Update) will bear any positively impact on my life 😉

HP Recommended

Yet another bumpety bump - anyone?

And we're on the Fall Creators Update now, but my PC has not sensed anything new yesterday though - which I really find bizarre.

The obvious concern I have is that there's something in my current setup (and I sincerely doubt it would be me blocking all sorts of back communcation to MS servers Spybot Anti-Beacon that I have in place - but who knows?) that prevents the upgrade.

Thoughts?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.