Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 11 (317 Views)

BIOS Update

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP Envy Phoenix 860-019
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Received a notification concerning BIOS update being available. Four possible updates were sent. How do you tell which one to use? What is being fixed?

Cheers, Mike

BIOS.JPG

Master's Graduate
Message 2 of 11 (283 Views)

Re: BIOS Update

Hello

Latest BIOS updates for your model can be seen here.  Update A0.38 Rev. A released in October 2016 is latest BIOS update.

Click on "BIOS" to see the updates.

Then click on "Details" for A0.38 to see more. Then click on "Full Detail" for more with facts.

If you need the fix then download and use installer and not use HPSA. HPSA can make for bad experience with BIOS updates.

Grzy

Intern
Message 3 of 11 (261 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have witnessed exactly the same on my HP Omen PC:

1. Why issue four different packages when only one is actually applicable? Is HP Software not checking which update is relevant to which machine and which not and filters them out accordingly? Very poor.

2. Why package that WAS relevant and actually updated BIOS was re-issued after the restart? Very poor again.

2. It took me up to five attempts to 'install' the ones that were not applicable - after highlighting these to HP Software that install was successful and restarting the machine few times, notifications were eventually gone.

Top Student
Message 4 of 11 (242 Views)

I totally agree on the issue of sending 4 separate notices about different BIOS updates. I only wnat to see notification updates that pertain to my computer.

In any case, I followed directions above to identify and then update BIOS and all seems OK now.

Thanks for the help.

Master's Graduate
Message 5 of 11 (228 Views)

Hello

Very good to see BIOS update worked for you.

HPSA BIOS updates sometime break PC so you have to have factory service to fix if cannot recover previous BIOS.

Grzy

Top Student
Message 6 of 11 (215 Views)

Interesting, I updated the BIOS to most recent version this afternoon (as above), and I just got that update your BIOS message again.

Deleted the message ... something seems to be "off" with these messages.

Master's Graduate
Message 7 of 11 (210 Views)

Hello

I turn off BIOS update notices in HP Support Assistant and rely on HP Support site for updates.

Grzy

Intern
Message 8 of 11 (197 Views)

So what's the point of HP Assistant taking care of software / firmware upgrades? I'm more than happy to go through this manually (as I sometimes do anyway) but what about less-able users / laymans who just do not understand these kind of things and will definitely be confused?

So: how about fixing it at source (i.e. HP)?

Intern
Message 9 of 11 (159 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yup, I saw the samething with the BIOS update this past week.  I only had 2 sent to me though and neither matched my motherboard of 2B4B for the 860-180st HP Envy.  I went to their support site and manually upgraded my BIOS.  That being said, I didn't immediately notice that the push from their HP software was an incorrect match until it ran the program and said the system board ID (SSID) was mismatch.  However, that piece of software was launched seperately and it appeared you could actually proceed with the upgrade seperate of those results if you wanted too.  That's when I canceled the upgrade and decided to investigate my drivers manually.  I agree with others that this defeats the no brainer upgrading ability of HP's software and really doesn't install confidence on future pushes.  I also wouldn't chance it if you're in doubt with a BIOS upgrade as it can result in permanently bricking you PC or at least that's what would happen for older PCs back in the day.  I'm also out of warranty so I'm not certain priority would be placed on a call to support from me without a credit card.  Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Intern
Message 10 of 11 (67 Views)

...so rolling forward two months later and situation repeats itself.

Three packages shown in HP Assistant, this time neither is applicable!

Capture.PNG

Is this by design?

(Yet again, I had to 'install' them and reboot PC few times to get rid of the notification)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation