Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1225
Linux

I tried install different flavors of Linux (CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian) on this machine but all installations failed. They all produced different error messages but neither of them was informative (like "Unknown error", or "Can't store information").

Is there something in my hardware, which prevents Linux from being installed on this machine?

This is Pavilion p7-1225 with 64 bit AMD A8 processor, 8Gb memory

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello@Developer35,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.

I understand that you need assistance in installing the Linux operating system on your PC. Did I get it, right?

As per the specifications I checked, I found that your PC was originally designed for a single boot. Windows operating system.

HP has never tested nor provided dual boot operating system on your PC model/series.

You might face boot issues while trying to install Non-Windows operating systems on the PC.

It is not recommended to d so. YOU may continue to install Non-Windows operating system at your sole discretion.

Hope this answers the question. Please let me know more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Developer35

Your model desktop actually comes in two different versions, depending on the OS preinstalled:

1) Windows 8s

2) Windows 7

If it is the second version, then most likely, is used UEFI instead of BIOS, and that introduces a whole new set of problems trying to install any Linux distro.  Here are some issue as identified with Ubuntu:  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295

Most likely, what's preventing you is something known as Secure Boot.  You have to go into the UEFI settings and disable that before you can boot ANY other OS on your PC.

Also, HP warranties their PCs only for the original OS that comes preinstalled.  If you overwrite that with a different OS, or if you install a second OS, you are basically on your own.

My suggestion is that you contact the support forum for the Linux distro you want installed.  Folks there will have experience dealing with installation issues.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help!

I checked my BIOS settings and did not find anything like "Secure boot". Is there anything else I should pay attention to?

My computer apparently does use UEFI as this term can be seen in BIOS settings. However, I have other computers which also use UEFI and Linux installs on them without any problem.

HP Recommended

> Also, HP warranties their PCs only for the original OS that comes preinstalled.  

> If you overwrite that with a different OS, or if you install a second OS, you are basically on your own.

I don't believe this.  For example, if a power-supply fails, it fails, and HP cannot "blame Linux" for its failure.

However, make/keep a copy of the software to reinstall Windows (and the HP Diagnostics tools).

Then, if you have "intermittent" hardware problems,  temporarily connect a "spare" disk-drive, and try to install Windows onto this "empty" disk-drive.  If it fails, then HP _must_ give you support, since you are using HP software on HP hardware.

It might be good to put your current disk-drive, with HP's version of Windows, aside, and label it.

Then, if you have any problems, reconnect this disk-drive, to "revert" to HP software on HP hardware, before exercising your HP warranty.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.