Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
p6-2220t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

So I was cleaning my pc today, and I opened the heat sink, and Cpu. Then I put them back and plugged in my video cable and turned the pc on when the monitor refused to turn on. I did some research and I put back the heat sink, took out the ram, and took out cmos battery for about 5-10 minutes. When I put everything back, I turned it on and everything worked, but the monitor is blue instead of being all colors, (also the time and date werent set when I turned on the computer), Can anyone please help!

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

>  ... put back the heat sink,

Did you clean off the old "heat-paste" between the bottom of the heat-sink and the top of the CPU, and apply fresh paste?  That paste is meant to make a good "seal" between the two pieces, and to transmit heat from the CPU to the heat-sink.

> took out the RAM , and took out CMOS  battery for about 5-10 minutes.

> (also the time and date were not set when I turned on the computer),

Without the battery, the date/time will "default" to some value.

Also, all of the other BIOS settings will be set to their "default" value.

> When I put everything back, I turned it on and everything worked, but the monitor is blue instead of being all colors,

Colours on the screen are "additive".  For example, mix all 3 primary colours to get "white".

If you get "purple" instead of "white", you are mixing only 2 of the 3 primary colours.

Check the video-cable's connections, at both ends, to be sure that the monitor is receiving all 3 colours.

However, if the screen is 100% "blue", that could be the default colour for your monitor, when it is *NOT* receiving *ANY*signal from the video-circuits on the motherboard.  Ouch!

When you reboot your computer, can you enter BIOS SETUP, and see enough to update the date/time?

If you cannot enter BIOS SETUP, you may have "killed" the motherboard, possibly by pushing on it with enough force, while reconnecting the heat-sink, to "flex" the motherboard, to break some of the connections.  Double ouch!

HP Recommended

I did not apply new thermal paste but the paste did really look dry. And I did not yet mess with the monitors colours, and also how do I do that exactly? Also how do I go in to BIOS setup, What should I choose?

HP Recommended

I did not apply new thermal paste but the heat-paste did really look dry.

It's "best practises" to remove the old paste, and apply new one, because you want a good, even, layer to avoid "hot-spots" as the heat transfers from the top of the CPU to the heat-sink.

And I did not yet mess with the monitor's colours, and also how do I do that exactly?

Check that the "video" cable is tightly-connected into the monitor, and tightly-connected to the socket on the computer.  The three primary colours are transmitted through different wires inside that cable.

Also, can you temporarily connect the monitor to a different desktop or laptop computer, to see if it shows the proper colours?

Also how do I go in to BIOS setup, What should I choose?

Turn the computer off.

Turn the computer on, and keep tapping the 'F2' key, until you see a message about "press <blah> to enter BIOS SETUP".

HP Recommended

Ok thank you Ill try connecting the monitor to my laptop. ANd Ill see if I can enter the bios.

HP Recommended

I can enter the bios, and also the plugs are tightly connected, I think its just the colors because when I go to the monitor menu I can see white black and yellow.

HP Recommended

I can enter the bios, and also the plugs are tightly connected, I think its just the colors because when I go to the monitor menu I can see white, black, and yellow.

HP Recommended

I think its just the colors because when I go to the monitor menu I can see white, black, and yellow.

We need to verify that all 3 "primary" colours being generated by both computers are reaching the monitor.

This is different from the colours being generated "internally" by the monitor.

It could the video-cable that is the problem -- not transmitting all 3 colours.  Try a different cable.

HP Recommended

Ok ill try a different cable

HP Recommended

Its not the cable, I connected the cable to my laptop and it seemed to work fine with the monitor, It showed all three primary colors. But when I switched back to my desktop, it turned back to blue.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.