Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone

I have not been successful defragging the following HDD  and it is still sitting at 19% fragmented.

\\?\Volume{755fc33f-3613-4e5a-be7c-eb6b7d15fd1]\

I have done everything possible, used windows defrag, HP defrag, other internet help sources eg: clean and optimise through properties etc  and still nothing.  I can't see the drive listed anywhere when I have done a search. 

As I am not computer technical literate I am at a loss for  what to do next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

JK82

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> Any other suggestions on how to get this 19% to 0% would be greatly appreciated.

Is your 'C:' disk-drive currently at 0% ??? 

That's the only partition that needs to be DEFRAG'd for optimal performance of your disk-drive, because that is the only partition that you use when running Windows.

If there are other partitions on your disk-drive, it is recommended to _NOT_ touch them.

They are used only when you reboot and choose to "Run HP Diagnostics" or run "System Recovery".

Touching them may "break" them, just when you need them the most.

Note that DEFRAG automatically runs, once per week.  Are you running it more often?

Why not just "exclude" that partition?

Capture.JPG

by using the "Select disks" window in the "scheduler" window of DEFRAG ?

Then, "don't worry, be happy".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @JK82

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concern and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the defragmentation is stuck at 19%.

I’d love to help!

I would like to inform you that Disk Defragmenter is a tool that rearranges the data on your hard disk and reunites fragmented files so your computer can run more efficiently. We should keep in mind that Disk Defragmenter uses low-priority disk access and CPU usage so that it doesn't influence your current running programs. This automatically translates into a slower process.

Disk defragmentation can take a long time if you are running it for the first time and also depend on the hard drive space and the data available. If can take up to 15 to 16 hours also depending on the data and bad clusters on the hard drive.

Hope that answers your question and you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi The_Fossette

Thanks for your reply but unfortunately it doesn't answer my question.   I understand the defrag process and  have been defragging my computer/s for quite a few years now and this is the first time I have had this happen, where a certain drive will not defrag and I cannot find it in the system to see what is going on.

I have updated drivers, deleted programs I no longer use and my pc is set to weekly upgrades and scans.

Any other suggestions on how to get this 19% to 0% would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

JK82

HP Recommended

> Any other suggestions on how to get this 19% to 0% would be greatly appreciated.

Is your 'C:' disk-drive currently at 0% ??? 

That's the only partition that needs to be DEFRAG'd for optimal performance of your disk-drive, because that is the only partition that you use when running Windows.

If there are other partitions on your disk-drive, it is recommended to _NOT_ touch them.

They are used only when you reboot and choose to "Run HP Diagnostics" or run "System Recovery".

Touching them may "break" them, just when you need them the most.

Note that DEFRAG automatically runs, once per week.  Are you running it more often?

Why not just "exclude" that partition?

Capture.JPG

by using the "Select disks" window in the "scheduler" window of DEFRAG ?

Then, "don't worry, be happy".

HP Recommended

Hi  mdklassen,

Thanks so much for your reply.  Yes, my "C" drive is at 0% and runs weekly.

From your  info I am much happier now to leave it alone and not be concerned.

Thanks again.

JK82

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.