Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HPE h8-1234 PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Got my HP Pavilion h8-1234 desktop about 5 years ago. It came with Windows 7 and has a D partition on the main drive for System Recovery.

I have upgraded to Windows 10. Does the D partition information get updated when you update Windows so that if I were to do a System Recovery, it would recover with Windows 10?

Or will it only recover back to Windows 7?

Thanks.

Don

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No.

It does not get updated. 

If you use it or media created with the Recovery media creator utility, you will be able to recover you PC to Windows 7.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

No.

It does not get updated. 

If you use it or media created with the Recovery media creator utility, you will be able to recover you PC to Windows 7.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@dondean

The Win10 Upgrade is know to corrupt the Recovery partition stored there by the OEM that built the original machine. This pretty much guarantees that no HP Recovery is going to work: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-Recovery-Manager-Blocked-After-Windo...

This means that RESET no longer works on your laptop due to your doing the Win10 Upgrade.

Also means that trying to create HP Recovery Media now is also likely to fail.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hey WAWood, you said:

@WAWood wrote:

@dondean

Also means that trying to create HP Recovery Media now is also likely to fail.

1. Does that mean if I create a "Restore point" for my C drive, it won't work?

2. Does that mean if I create a "System Image" DVD, it won't work?

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

No.

It does not get updated. 

Hey erico, that brings up another question:

If I reformat my D partition and use it for storage, would this cause me any problems?

Does the HP software have links to files on the D drive that would create problems with some of the user interfaces if these links were no longer valid?

HP Recommended

Using the F11 key to invoke the recovery manager has links to the recovery partition. That is where the recovery manager lives, in amanner of speaking.

If you do not want it to work and have already created recovery media then using it as storage is OK.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.