Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Want is wrong with my hp computer the printer wouldn't work and the computer is showing something blue on this desktop and you can't usedyour password?
HP Recommended

I need instructions on booting from the hard drive. Bott drive was changed to the CD to preform a back up my he, but now I need to reverse back to the he. The error I'm getting is: No boot disk has been detected or disk has failed.

please respond a.s.a.p.

Ivon J.

HP Recommended

I attempted to run the hard disk diagnostic test and it tells me that smart check and short dst are not installed, is there a way to get these on my computer? I have a hp envy model H8-1423

HP Recommended

Similar trouble, and now hoping for some HP attention to a design fault in this PC. Hard disk access issues persist since (regrettable) purchase, & are: - intermittent or full disk access failure, resulting in PC in-flight failure;  failure to boot, messages to say no disk installed, no operating system installed etc.

Tech support advice to open the PC, remove & re-seat the hard disk is not always successful. Hiberfyl sys was reset on one occasion, & a full re-installation of Windows was required to get past that probelm, & I don't want to waste another weekend on another re-build. Sometimes the PC remains in this state for days at a time.

If I run Linux from a usb stick the PC boots fine, and, importantly, all other components run fine.

I am confident that the underlying fault is with the interaction of firmware, possibly in the disk controller on the Motherboard, with Windows (PC has run W8, 8.1 and 10, no change in behaviour through these changes). When running Linux hard disk access is read-only. Full access is only restored when the PC boots Windows successfully. I think it is time for HP to replace the PC with an equivalen, but different device, as it is not fit for purpose.

I have contributed enough support effort, & I have no expectation that things will improve.

HP please read this and do the right thing! 

HP Recommended

OK HP, more news, there is a suggestion here - http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/Pavilion-23-all-in-one-Unable-to-resolv... - of what the underlying problem may be: " The contacts on the connection to the SATA drive are oxidyzing. either on the drive side or the connector side. especially in the power connection. You can sometimes hear the drive making multiple attempts to spin up, only to find it does not have enough current to do so." Remedy found is to reseat the drive 10-20 times to clean the contacts and - eventually - re-establish a sufficiently clean mechanical contact to allow electrical contact to occur, but that oxidisation will re-occur periodically. 

Plausible, bit not a fix for rhis design fault - your connectors should last a  number of years before such a failure could be considered reasonable. 

So, the issue remains that the PC is not fir for purpose, &, should this indeed be the underlying cause, my expectation that things will not improve remains valid, as my request for redress by replacement remains valid. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.