Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently been having issues with my PC. and I have been getting calls from an 800 number that i responded to and it took me to an HP number.  I made a note of this number and added it to my contacts.  I was called again this morning from this number and I answered it. Was told my computer had been notifiying HP of an Hack of my computer and that I should with this persons help be able to fix it. He informed me that there was a file built into the operating system that did the notifications to HP when the computer was compromised.  I was on the computer for quite some time before there was a request for a $300 Itunes card that would enable the person to clean up my computer. Long story short .. I said no that I thought it was a scam and I would not be giving any money to him and he said he was going to cancel my license and lock my computer. I immediately shut it down but when I rebooted I am asked for a password which I of course do not know. 

I would appreciate any help in resolving this issue. Please tell me what I need to do to fix this. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@lpets

Does the screen look like this???

original[1].jpg

REO

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Ipets

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

@lpets

Does the screen look like this???

original[1].jpg

REO

HP Recommended

yes or very similar. I am now getting nothing on the screen at all.

HP Recommended
Thank you for your help. I have been contacted by a case manager regarding this. The tech I took my computer to has never seen a computer in such shape. The video has been disabled and he is stumped as to how to fix it. It is an All-In-One computer and the screen is absolutely dark. I don't know what to do from here. If anyone has any ideas .. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. I have been contacted by a case manager regarding this. I was sent restore disks for my computer but the display has been disabled and cannot apparently be accessed at all. The tech I took my computer to has never seen a computer in such shape. There is no video he is stumped as to how to fix it. It is an All-In-One computer and the screen is absolutely dark. I don't know what to do from here. If anyone has any ideas .. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

yup.  me too.  Today I got sucked into the "you have a Zeus Trojan Virus"  "Let me fix it" scam.  But instead of a HP representative, he posed as a Microsoft representative. It started with a WIndows DefenderPro pop up when I clicked on a "Western Governors.org" web link.   I did not buy his fix, but my laptop is now displaying the same dialog box and I am locked out. 

If someone from HP will contact me, I will give details of the phishing hack.

HP Recommended
I had some issues with my laptop and the sent me out a recovery drive. When I got sucked into this scam, which I'm still dealing with, I used the recovery software and it's fixed. All bugs are gone. No start-up password or anything. Try getting one from hp with the current version of windows on your computer on it.
HP Recommended

Thank you, Thank you and thank you again. HP stepped up and helped me in spite of my stupidity.  Since my computer was still on warranty I was asked to ship it to the repair division and it was taken care of.  I have always enjoyed my HP computers and I will continue to do so. Even though I was dumb enough to be taken in by the scammers and let them in to do their damage HP was awesome to help me resolve the problem. I am thoroughly impressed with the level of customer service that I received. 

HP Recommended

Did you have to send in your computer because I have the same issue that is on my computer, same as the people before, when it required the start-up password and then the screen black with only the Logo and the computer rebooting itsself.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.