Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 500-210qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In October I did a BIOS upgrade using sp73062.exe to 80.21A.  Since then I've acquired a series of warnings in the Application log:

1. Event ID 3; COM Exception running a Casl GET EmbeddedController.AuditLog.JSON command = Return value from BIOS indicating an invalid command value.: One or more arguments are invalid (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80000003)

2. Event ID 3; COM Exception running a Casl EXECUTE Diags.ThermalDiagnostics command = Return value from BIOS indicating that a proposed BIOS admin password violates the BIOS password policy.: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80000028

3. Event ID 204;BatteryCheck.exe didn't return 0 as result.

4. Event ID 203; Not supported by CASL

At least one and as many as 14 of the above have occurred every day since the upgrade.

I can: a) ignore these events, or, b) revert to the previous version, or, c)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The solution will be to install a version of HP Support Assistant other than version 8.1.40.3 (as downloaded in sp72974.exe) that does not report spurious errors.  As of this writing there is no other version available at the HP download site. For now I've uninstalled the Support Assistant.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi there @geoB

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums! I understand that after updating your BIOS you are seeing a series of errors in your Application log. I am happy to assist you.

I would suggest trying to revert back to the previous BIOS and then monitoring the log again.

HP Desktop PCs - Recovering the BIOS

If the Log is still showing a similar series of log entries then something else is going on. Let me know the results.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

The procedure was somewhat disconcerting - although my system beeped, etc., the screen remained blank.  After five minutes I shutdown and restarted.  BIOS had indeed been downgraded.  I'll give it a couple of days then report back on event status.

HP Recommended

The errors persist after reverting BIOS. Interestingly, there were no HP Active Health event entries at all before the recent BIOS upgrade.

It is most likely true that HP Active Health did not exist on the system prior to the recent BIOS upgrade.  It was likely installed in the installation of either HP Support Assistant or HP Support Solutions Framework while trying to diagnose a CPU fan failure.

So the question really becomes, "Are these events significant?" What, if anything, can or should be done since the system otherwise appears to function properly?

HP Recommended

The above relate to my desktop sysetm.  Out of curiousity I checked my 4+ year-old laptop.  HP Support Solutions Framework & Support Assistant show an installation date of August 17, 2015.  Before that date there were no HP Active Health events in the Application log.  Since then, however, there are reports for every day the laptop was used.  BIOS for the laptop is 68PZU F.13 dated 12/6/2010.  An Excel PivotTable summarizing the events is available for each machine.

I'm strongly leaning toward concluding that the HP Active Health warnings of BIOS errors are more indicative of HP Active Health errors.

HP Recommended

The solution will be to install a version of HP Support Assistant other than version 8.1.40.3 (as downloaded in sp72974.exe) that does not report spurious errors.  As of this writing there is no other version available at the HP download site. For now I've uninstalled the Support Assistant.

HP Recommended

Does HP have a new solution to this? I just bought an HP Envy 850-065se and it is throwing the exact same errors, everything is brand new and has been updated. I know reverting to a prior BIOS will not work so I might have a chance of figuring this out can you tell me three things:

- Is there a new solution for this issue?

- What will I lose is I disable HP Assist, if I disable I assume I can reenable it?

- What is the root cause of the erros? Do you know the technical cause of the issue, for example, if I were to set a strong password in the BIOS would that fix the actual cause of the error?

HP Recommended

I am trying to run BIOS update from HP Healthcheck and keep getting this error

I am trying to run BIOS update from HP Health check and keep getting this error
C:\Windows\help\OEM\scripts\HC_VistaSP1BIOSUpdate.jse   
 Line:458  
Char:2  
error: Object Required  
Code: 800A01A8   
Source: Microsoft Jscript runtime error

http://pkurdutips.com/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.