Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (84 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP ENVY h8-1513c hard drive

Product Name: HP ENVY 2 TB hard drive
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm getting an intermitent Boot Sector error, or hard drive cannot be found error.

I think my hard drive is about to fail completely.  Can anyone recommend a compatible hard drive for this Desktop computer.  And the procedure to move my Windows 10 and programs over to the new hard drive.

Accepted Solution

Re: HP ENVY h8-1513c hard drive

@otomerat, welcome to the forum.

You can buy any hard drive that is the same size or larger.  The best way to setup the new hard drive is by cloning the old drive to the new drive.  There are many FREE cloning programs available on the Internet.

If you want to boost the performance of the computer, you could by a SSD.  It would have to be at least 512 GB to work.  Samsung makes very good SSD's.  Also, they make a program to clone the HDD to the SSD called Samsung's Data Migration.  Their Magician software allows you to tweak the SSD once it is installed.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

View solution in context
Highlighted
Provost
Message 2 of 3 (59 Views)

@otomerat, welcome to the forum.

You can buy any hard drive that is the same size or larger.  The best way to setup the new hard drive is by cloning the old drive to the new drive.  There are many FREE cloning programs available on the Internet.

If you want to boost the performance of the computer, you could by a SSD.  It would have to be at least 512 GB to work.  Samsung makes very good SSD's.  Also, they make a program to clone the HDD to the SSD called Samsung's Data Migration.  Their Magician software allows you to tweak the SSD once it is installed.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Phoenix 860-170VR; i7-6700K 4.0 GHz; 8 GB DDR4 memory; Samsung EVO 840 500 GB SSD; Radeon R9-390X video card; Win 10 Home

HP Elite x2 1012 G1 Tablet w/Travel Keyboard and Stylus; Core m3 processor; 4 GB DDR4 memory; Samsung 128 GB SSD; Audio by
Bang & Olufsen; Win 10 Home

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 3 (29 Views)

Thanks that worked.  I used a free cloning product called 'Macrium Reflect'.  I had downloaded another product called AOMEI Partition Assistant, but when I tried to clone my hard drive I got a message saying that my hard drive wasn't compatible and to upgrade AOMEI (to a pay for use product).

I'm using a Samsung SSD (250GB) that I had lying around.  It doesn't have a lot of capacity, so I ordered a 'Hitachi Ultrastar HUA723020ALA641 2TB 64MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA6.0Gb/s Hard Drive', which was pretty cheap.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation