Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 2 TB hard drive
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm getting an intermitent Boot Sector error, or hard drive cannot be found error.

I think my hard drive is about to fail completely.  Can anyone recommend a compatible hard drive for this Desktop computer.  And the procedure to move my Windows 10 and programs over to the new hard drive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@otomerat, welcome to the forum.

You can buy any hard drive that is the same size or larger.  The best way to setup the new hard drive is by cloning the old drive to the new drive.  There are many FREE cloning programs available on the Internet.

If you want to boost the performance of the computer, you could by a SSD.  It would have to be at least 512 GB to work.  Samsung makes very good SSD's.  Also, they make a program to clone the HDD to the SSD called Samsung's Data Migration.  Their Magician software allows you to tweak the SSD once it is installed.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@otomerat, welcome to the forum.

You can buy any hard drive that is the same size or larger.  The best way to setup the new hard drive is by cloning the old drive to the new drive.  There are many FREE cloning programs available on the Internet.

If you want to boost the performance of the computer, you could by a SSD.  It would have to be at least 512 GB to work.  Samsung makes very good SSD's.  Also, they make a program to clone the HDD to the SSD called Samsung's Data Migration.  Their Magician software allows you to tweak the SSD once it is installed.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks that worked.  I used a free cloning product called 'Macrium Reflect'.  I had downloaded another product called AOMEI Partition Assistant, but when I tried to clone my hard drive I got a message saying that my hard drive wasn't compatible and to upgrade AOMEI (to a pay for use product).

I'm using a Samsung SSD (250GB) that I had lying around.  It doesn't have a lot of capacity, so I ordered a 'Hitachi Ultrastar HUA723020ALA641 2TB 64MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA6.0Gb/s Hard Drive', which was pretty cheap.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.