Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi guys,

So basically, my HP Laptop froze about three times today. I had to press the re-set button each time. The computer finally came back on to the menu's but froze straight away. I pressed the reset button again. This time when I switch the laptop on the first thing that comes up is the HP Logo and "Preparing System recovery". After a while the screen goes blank and after a while again the HP logo comes up again but this time is no writing and just a loop spinning round and round. Nothing happens after this. I tried switching it on and off again but the same thing happens.

Does anyone know how i can fix this? It seems as though you have to press F11 when you switch it on and go through some options to get it to work again? I have some photo's and music on there i would quite like to keep, can i do this? Or do i need to clean the system? There not overly important! Some help would be great if anyone can give me some adivice on how to fix it!

Thanks very much :generic:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Cammy, I'm back

Press the ESC key at boot then F2 when the Start Menu appears, this will start the System Diagnostics, advise me the results.

Then, rebooting again using to ESC key for the Start Menu press the F11 key for system recovery, do not press any other key unless it asks you to do.  Let it work for 15 minutes to see if any further action of the recovery process.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended

Repeatedly tap the F8 key at boot to try to get into safe mode.  From there select a restore point prior to when the problems started. 

If not successful::

It looks like your system wants to do a factory reset, watch the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvVv8G1tzGY&index=4&list=PLnsZC48QebLpS0g2Ak-yHB6PnPV2PLkZq

It will explain how to restore and back up your persoonal files.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your respone Nuccii, I really appreciate it! 

I'll give the F8 Button a go first then if un-succesful, I'll try the factory re-set. I'll report back to here if i don't get any luck.

Thank you  :generic:

HP Recommended

Your welcome,

Should further assistance be needed please state your computer's make and model and windows OS version.

You should always make it a habit of backing up your personal data regularly.  You could use a backup program like

Aomei Backupper Free to DVD or USB stick or external hard drive.

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

HP Recommended

Unfortuantley, when I press the F8 button, nothing happens and the screen just stays as the same with the loop.

I have tried the video link you sent me also (thank you) and this doesnt seem to work too. I press F11quickly as soon as the laptop comes on and in the corner F11 comes up in words and it comes up with the HP Logo and says "please wait" however, it just stays on this screen.

My model of computer is: HP Pavilion g6

The version of Windows I'm using is: Windows 8

Thanks also for the link you sent regarding the back up :generic:

HP Recommended

Pavilion g6-xxxx replace the x with the numbers.

You must repeatedly tap the function keys when you turn on the computer.  It may take a couple of trys.

Did you create recovery disks when you got the computer?

HP Recommended

Pavilion g6  - 2213sa

I've tried rebooting it up a few times now and keep tapping the F11 key but the same thing keeps happening unfortuantely. The words F11 come up in the bottom corner as soon as you start tapping it but the HP logo just comes on and the loop keeps spinning saying "please wait". Should I keep switching it off and trying again with the tapping of F11?

Yes, at the store Ii got it, they made me some recovery disks and i have about four of them ready to use.

HP Recommended

If you see the F11 in the corner, thats good, and when you see Please Wait, wait for approx 5 min before doing anything.

If that dosen't work, your have to use the boot disks, by changing the boot order in the BIOS, see this:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00364979

HP Recommended

Okay, I'll give it a go and report back here again. Something just happend! When i switched the computer back on i tred not to press F11 and I got a message about the fan not working. I've left the computer switched off for 10 minutes to cool down and as I have switched it back on, it didnt come on anymore and the "Preparing Automatic Repair" comes back on. I will try the F11 method again and wait 5-10 minutes. If still no luck, I will follow the video link you sent me and I'll report back here.

Thanks again :generic:

HP Recommended

After tapping the F11 button for a while, still nothing happened after fifteen minutes and it was still on the page with the HP logo saying "Please Wait" :Crying:

Before I go to work in the morning I'll try the link you sent my and see if my recovery disks can do the job and report back here. Thanks ever so much for your help tonight! Fingers crossed these disks work.

Cheers :generic:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.