Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Desktop Paviliion p6610f
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I received Failure Imminent Warning on April 18, 2016

I don't know, but thought you might find this interesting. I have backed up my hard drive several times since the first warning.  I downloaded and used the Hard Drive Sentinel and it said that my hard drive "performance" was 100% (Excellent) but that it was about to fail and I had a "health" of "0" and zero days left before it failed, for several days in a row.  I have kept a daily log of what I have done and what warnings I keep getting over and over, since April 18, 2016.  

(This is the second year in a row this has happened in the same month, but then went away for a year.)

After a few days, on 5/1, for some inexplicable reason, when I turned on my computer and it booted up, I did not receive a full page warning or have to hit (F2 To continue) before I logged in.  Then the Hard Drive Sentinel came on the screen as it always does, and tells me that performance is 100% Excellent and the Health is 100% Excellent and that I have more than 100 days remaining on it, no problematic sectors and no data transfer errors and that NO Actions were Necessary!  Everything was just all of a sudden Hunky Dorey again!  It continued this way until...

On 5/6 the Same Warning appeared again and continues to this day 5/10/16.  Hard Drive Sentinel says that it is the "seek error rate" = "indicates problem with the servo, high head temperatures can also cause this problem."

Since this happened twice now, once a full year ago this month, and then went away, can anyone tell me what to do or how to prevent this ?  Or how to fix it?  Or do I have to purchase another Hard Drive?  This one is only two years old....

I hope my explanation and question are not too convoluted...

Open mind Pure intent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Considering you have the backups and a failure, I would consider replacing the drive.  1TB drives are relatively inexpensive and you can be on your way by restoring the info from backup.  IMHO it is not worth any further taking chances on the old drive.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Considering you have the backups and a failure, I would consider replacing the drive.  1TB drives are relatively inexpensive and you can be on your way by restoring the info from backup.  IMHO it is not worth any further taking chances on the old drive.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

April 2015 I received a "Failure Imminent" warning about my Hard Drive.  I bought a new blank one and was going to replace it, but the warning went away and I ran SMART tests and they said Hard Drive was fine.   One year later......

April 2016, I received a "Failure Imminent" warning about my Hard Drive.  I ran SMART tests = they said the same.    I cleaned up the drive and deleted programs, installed Hard Drive Sentinel.   Disk "Performance" was 100%  "Health" 0%.  

Five Days later, FOR NO APPARENT REASON, the Hard Drive  "Performance 100%"  and   "Health was 100%"   NO FAILURE IMMINENT WARNING!!!

NO FAILURE IMMINENT WARNING!!!

Hard Drive Sentinel statistics were Excellent at 100% for six days then I got the "Failure Imminent" warning again.

"Failure Predicted--Attribute: 7 Seek Error Rate, Rate of positioning errors of the read/write heads.  Indicate problems with servo, head.  High Temperatures can also cause this problem.  (Temp was 36 degrees Celsius)  Replace Hard Drive Immediately."

My question is:

Since it did this a year ago and recovered by itself and lasted a full year before giving the same warning, in the same month, and then recovered for several days and then gave the same warning again, =  

Is there something I can do to fix the "servo, head?"   or  reduce the temperature?    or do I have to just replace the Hard Drive?

(such a pain to start all over again, as I replaced the Hard Drive 2 years ago with a reconditioned one)  This all just seems so very odd and suspicious, as Microsoft has been relentless in its pursuit to get me to update to Windows 10, which I refuse.

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

Thank you for your time.  I will replace the hard drive as you suggest.

Open mind Pure intent
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.