Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My computer is the HP Pavilion p6-2317c Desktop PC, running windows 8.

I'm trying to create recovery media, and have a 32Gb Sandisk Cruzer Facet that I was intending to use for it. Unfortunately, Recovery manager doesn't recognize the flash drive...it never shows up in the menu at all. The drive shows up when I click the computer icon in the files section, with no issues at all, as you can see.

RecManagerWTF.jpg

I haven't created a recovery media set, and it doesn't show the not enough space error, it just doesn't let it show up at all!

What can I do to fix this? I'd really like to make a recovery set, to ward off a visit from the demon in charge of foulups visiting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Savvy2,

SanDisk changed the firmware in their newer products so that the USB drive appears as a local drive and not as a removal media device. The older HP Recovery Manager keys on this information and that is why the HP Recovery Manager doesn't recognized your flash drive.  Review the below information that was compiled by Erico.

Success

Transcend USB 3.0 16Gb 

Team Group F108 64G ( reported as a success by Big_Dave) 

PNY Turbo 3.0 - 32GB 

Lexar Jumpdrive M10 Secure 64GB  USB 3.0 

Patriot Rage 3.0  32GB

Failure

Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 32 GB

Kingston DT R3.0 USB 3.0 32Gb 

ADATA Pro s102 - 32GB USB 3.0

Sandisk Extreme 3.0 32GB
Sandisk Cruzer Blade USB 2.0 Flash Drive 32GB

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

58 REPLIES 58
HP Recommended

Hi,

First we need to check if the flash drive is formated and what is the File format (FAT32,NTFS,etc).

this link should help you.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03529751

Regards;
Ray
I am an HP employee
Please click the White Kudos star to say thanks for helping.
Please mark Accept As Solution if my help has solved your problem.
HP Recommended

Back up files with the HP Recovery Manager.

The HP Recovery Manager is used to back up your personal files to an external USB storage device.

Boot to the recovery partition by pressing F11 .

Click Advanced Options . Click Backup computer files .

Select the type of files you need to back up from the list and then click Next .

It will take several minutes to locate all of the files, no matter where they are on the hard drive.

Select the destination device (external USB hard drive or a USB flash drive/Memory Stick).

Click Next to start the backup.

I take it the bolded step is where you you get the message that there is no media? Did you try removing the USB drive or DVD and reinserting it?

In some cases, this can do the trick.

By chance, do you happen to have another functioning computer you can use? If so, you can review this document from HowToGeek regarding backuping up files. A live version of Linux is one that is operated from the DVD drive and is functional without overwriting the installation of Windows so long as the try ubuntu without making changes option is selected.

NOTE: This method is not endorsed by HP and HP is not responsible for the results. This method is a little techy. I am not familiar with your technical knowledge, so I will also give another option. You can purchase an external hard drive enclosure like this one. They are usually fairly cheap and is typically the easiest way to get data off a hard drive when the operating system won't boot.

Regards,
King_Yeshu
I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
HP Recommended

HI,

You can also refer to this link

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03544793

Regards;
Ray
I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

It is formatted NTFS, but I've tried it with it formatted FAT32 as well, and it still doesn't register.

HP Recommended
I tried that, but for some reason, the system image is too large for my 32gb drive...it wants 168 gb to create it! At least this one seems to see the drive, though, unlike Recovery manager.
HP Recommended
Hi,

It should take 32GB flash drive to create recovery disk, if there is any issue with the size they you can try 64GB that should fix the issue.
Recovery image is a compress image of the hard drive it will not take more than 32GB or 64GB.

Try it with 64GB and check

You use this support documnet which shows how to create recovery disk.
Regards;
Ray
I am an HP employee
HP Recommended
This doesn't really help...The recovery manage doesn't recoginize ANY drive...It says that any drives that are two small should show up grayed out...But it lists NO drives, no matter what's plugged in! It also says it only needs 17.5 Gb of space...which you can see in the screenshot, so that's obviously not the issue. I need to know why it isn't "seeing" the drive.
HP Recommended

HP is looking into the issues reported on flash drives not working for Recovery creation in Windows 8. I have been told they are working on a patch/upgrade for Recovery Manager.

In the meantime, it has been suggested to either switch to DVD or pick up a flash drive that is NOT logo'd with the Windows 8 compatible icon on package.

If neither of these is acceptable hold out for the coming patch.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I've tried old and new usb pens (front and rear) and nothiong is recognised by the recovery manager - I bought a new USB pen for this purpose so will HP refund the money or send some free disks as the patch doesn't seem to have arrived?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.