Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I EITHER FORGOT IT OR NEVER SET IT , AND WINDOWS WONT START AND I CAN'T GET ONTO THE RECOVERY CONSOLE WITHOUT A PASSWORD ! MY COMPUTER IS A PAVILION A845W WITH WINDOWS XP , AND HP NO LONGER SELLS THE RECOVERY KIT FOR THIS COMPUTER !
45 REPLIES 45
HP Recommended

When it prompts for a password, don't enter anything, just hit enter.  If that doesn't work, see below methods.

There are 2 methods you can try.

Method 1 - Reset password from another Administrator account:

1. Log on to Windows by using an Administrator account that has a password that you remember. You may need to start Windows XP in Safe Mode (to boot in Safe Mode, hit F8 repeatedly at the boot up screen).
  2. Click Start.
  3. Click Run.
  4. In the Open box, type “control userpasswords2″.
  5. Click Ok.
  6. Click the user account that you forgot the password for.
  7. Click Reset Password.
  8. Type a new password in both the New password and the Confirm new password boxes.
  9. Click Ok.

Method 2 - Try command prompt for the "reset password trick":

1. Log in with any valid account.
  2. Open the command prompt.
  3. Type: net user (you should get a list of accounts)
  4. Type: net user Administrator *
  5. Type: net user (any account on that list) *
  6. It prompts for a password.  Enter one, then enter it again when prompted to confirm.
  7. Then try to log on as 'Administrator' with your new password.
HP Recommended

If that is a Windows password, then it is fairly easy to fix without recovery or reinstall.  Try the methods listed in the other post first.  If they do not fix the problem, google for password reset in WinXP or take a look at Hiren's Boot CD or Ultimate boot cd.

May need to read some to find what is needed.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Try This:

The first thing which you check if you forget login password. When you install Windows, it automatically creates an account "Administrator" and sets its password to blank. So if you have forget your user account password then try this:

Start system and when you see Windows Welcome screen / Login screen, press <ctrl>+<alt>+<del> keys twice and it'll show Classic Login box. Now type "Administrator" (without quotes) in Username and leave Password field blank. Now press Enter and you should be able to log in Windows.

Now you can reset your account password from "Control Panel -> User Accounts".

Same thing can be done using Safe Mode. In Safe Mode Windows will show this in-built Administrator account in Login screen.

Another solution: Administrator password reset

Hope it works for you.

Good Luck

Signature removed.
HP Recommended

@jamesstevn

making that particular type of password reset disc on one PC will not work on another PC.

HP Recommended

Why is everyone posting Paid versions of this type of software, there must be 3 or 4 free softwares that do the same thing, oh SPAM!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcloginnow/

or do it the old fashioned way

http://reboot.pro/15751/

or

http://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/15031-How-to-Log-In-to-Windows-Without-the-Password.html

HP Recommended

One free program I used last week was able to read the /windows/system32/SAM in NTFS filesystem files, to show the users and their passwords, to blank, or reset those passwords, and then to write back the changes to the SAM in windows in NTFS.

It's a small filesize ISO to burn to a CD, or it even can fit on 1 floppy diskette, with 2 diskettes of potential drivers to find the Windows drive.

google 'NT offline', with or without the single quote marks...

HP Recommended
I just reset it tonight in a hurry and didn't write it down! Later what I thought it was doesn't work! Help!
HP Recommended

Will this work on a a1130n desktop?

HP Recommended

@PegB wrote:

Will this work on a a1130n desktop?

Yes, scroll up this page, I made an edit to my answer, there are several ways to do it for Vista or Windows 7.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.