Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 20
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I did a factory restore on the Pavillion 20. Pushing the F11 key got me to the TroubleShooter screen and I selected System Restore. All went well

I set up the Admin UserName and Password carefully (but did not think to make a password recovery disk).  I installed a different AntiVirus app to the default Norton one.  So I uninstalled Norton.  It reuqired a reboot to complete the uninstall.

This is where my problems started.

On restarting, the machine will not accept the password!  There is no error here.  It was carefully crafted and entered two times duing creation.  I have even considered maybe I was slow to remove my finger off the shift key (two times) so have tried many variants of shift or no shift for the capitals and even the next character in the password.  I have rebooted about 50 times trying to just get in one time and then I'd choose a new login password.

So next I thought I might just do a System Restore from scratch and re-set up again.  But now there is no option for me to use System Recovery.  This option is missing!  I have spent many hours on google searches for similar problems.  It is just not there.  I have tried using F10 and also F11 to get into System Recovery.  I get to the menu Troubleshoot and there are 3 options: Refresh uoir PC, Reset your PC and Advanced options.
Clicking Advanced options gives me System Restore (usung a restore point (doesn;t work)) System Image Recovery, Startup Repair, Command Prompt and UEFI Firmware Settings.

I am positn gthis hoping I can do a System Recovery from the Command Prompt.  Is this possible?  If not how can I do a System Recovery when the OPtion is no longer avaiiable?

My question is: One a full system recovery has been done, why is it no longer possible to

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Newton51

It helps to post the Full Model number of the your computer.

I'm not sure whats happened on your system but when you do the system reset, don't go to Advanced.

You should be able to click on Reset your PC. That will wipe the C: partition and reinstall Windows.

When its finished and you get to the part where it asks you to create a User Password, LEAVE IT BLANK.

Restart to make sure you can log in without using a password.

IF you are successful at this point, Create your HP Recovery Media via the HP Support Assistant.

If you get into a bind again, the recovery media will wipe the entire drive and reinstall everything, including the recovery partition.

NOTE: HP will let you burn only one copy of the recovery media, so don't interrupt the process when you start it.

Now remove Norton and restart.

Install what ever new security you want.

When done, go to your User Profile and carefully create your password but don't close out yet.

Create the password reset key on a USB stick.

Now restart and test your password.

You have a reset USB key if it does not work.

----------------------------------------------------------

If you are not able to, or not successful in resetting the PC, you have two options. Use the MS Media Creation Tool to create reinstallation media (from a different computer)

Then reinstall Windows 8.1 and download your drivers from HP and install them.

Or

Order the proper recovery media from HP Support directly.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

Choose the country you are in. Choose Support, then choose For home.
Enter the full product number and follow the prompts to contact Support.

Chatting with an agent will ensure you get the proper recovery media.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello Newton51

It helps to post the Full Model number of the your computer.

I'm not sure whats happened on your system but when you do the system reset, don't go to Advanced.

You should be able to click on Reset your PC. That will wipe the C: partition and reinstall Windows.

When its finished and you get to the part where it asks you to create a User Password, LEAVE IT BLANK.

Restart to make sure you can log in without using a password.

IF you are successful at this point, Create your HP Recovery Media via the HP Support Assistant.

If you get into a bind again, the recovery media will wipe the entire drive and reinstall everything, including the recovery partition.

NOTE: HP will let you burn only one copy of the recovery media, so don't interrupt the process when you start it.

Now remove Norton and restart.

Install what ever new security you want.

When done, go to your User Profile and carefully create your password but don't close out yet.

Create the password reset key on a USB stick.

Now restart and test your password.

You have a reset USB key if it does not work.

----------------------------------------------------------

If you are not able to, or not successful in resetting the PC, you have two options. Use the MS Media Creation Tool to create reinstallation media (from a different computer)

Then reinstall Windows 8.1 and download your drivers from HP and install them.

Or

Order the proper recovery media from HP Support directly.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

Choose the country you are in. Choose Support, then choose For home.
Enter the full product number and follow the prompts to contact Support.

Chatting with an agent will ensure you get the proper recovery media.

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your help.  I have it sorted now.  Much appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.