Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I'm trying to create a System Recovery Media as is strongly recommended by the HP Support Assistant notification on my HP desktop.  When I go to run the recovery, it tells me the media is not compatible, and then it opens up my DVD drive. I don't want to back up on DVD. I had a 128 GB USB drive plugged in, and it has 50 GBs of space. It won't seem to let me back up on that USB. I can't select USB, because the drive opens, and it doesn't let me select the USB option at that point because it just spins. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I will check the USB drive and reject because it needs a fresh USB drive with NO data on it. It will lock the USB afater the process.

Please use a new USB drive.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

I will check the USB drive and reject because it needs a fresh USB drive with NO data on it. It will lock the USB afater the process.

Please use a new USB drive.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I hope the answer provided did work, as it is the easiest.

Sometimes it is not so easy, but still very possible. If it did not work, the following could be the problem:

In the BIOS, remove, disable, and/or move the CD/DVD drive from the boot up order processs and make sure the USB port is read first, so if the boot USB drive is in place, the USB drive will be followed. Only when the USB drive does not have the correct start up files, and based on the BIOS stating such, when there is no executiable file on a USB to next search the hard drive.

Great luck to all!

Julz

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.