Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Is there a later BIOS version for my MS-7778 motherboard? If so, I need a download link to it because I've been searching and searching and found nothing of it. I'm trying to update the bios because the motherboard can't register a new GPU that I've been trying to install.

Current BIOS version:    AMI 7.04, 3/16/2012

Product name:                 p7-1235

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Anyone, welcome to the forum.

There is no BIOS update in the Drivers page.  Since the computer is over two years old, I don't believe that there will be one.

What is the make/model of the video card?  There may be a work-around for the BIOS problem.

Please click the "Thumbs Up+ button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

The GPU is an AMD R9 280x (by XFX).

I contacted XFX and they said it could be that the GPU is defective or something is wrong with the motherboard. They recommended me to make sure that the BIOS version is really up to date.

With the R9 installed in the PCI-E slot and psu plugged to it, the computer turns on with the fans but bios and windows don't start- no signal to monitor or any ports. It runs fine without the R9 and right now I'm using the old integrated GPU.

HP Recommended

It would help if you would provide a link to the actual video card.  The ones that I have seen require from 500W to 750W to run properly.  The power supply unit (PSU) in the computer is only 300W.  This could be the reason that the card is not working.

By the way, you made a good choice of manufacturer.  I prefer XFX myself.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Not a problem.  It is difficult to remember everything.  Thank you for the additional information.

First, could you please tell me how well the card fits into the space provided?  I would have never recommended the card becuase it is 11.16" in length and over two slots wide.  I would be afraid of reduced airflow.

Second, you may be pushing to capability of the PSU ( Corsair is my preferred brand.) since the card requires a minimum of 750W to run properly.  I know that manufacturers always give themselves some wiggle room if there is a problem, but this is close.

Last, I suggest contacting XFX's Customer Service to see if the card requires full UEFI BIOS.  If so, your computer wouldn't have it.  HP didn't begin including a full UEFI BIOS in their computers until mid-October, 2012.  Your computer was released in May, 2012.  Also, if it does, ask if there is a VBIOS update to help with this problem.  I know that all EVGA 7000 series cards require the UEFI BIOS.

These are some of the items that I beleive could cause your problem.

Please click the "Thumbs Up+ button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

When all of the cables are moved out of the way, I can fit the GPU into the case but it gets a bit cramped. Right now the card is installed in the case without being the PSU being plugged into it and the interior seems to stay at a fine temperature, so it might not be a problem.

I'm not sure about your second thought, and I've just asked XFX the question about the card needing full UEFI BIOS and waiting for a response.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information on how the card fits into the space.  The thing that makes a difference is the fact that the new PSU is modular.

My second thought referred to the fact that your new PSU is 750W and the video card requires a minimum of 750W to run properly.  This means there is no additional wattage for peak power needs.

Please let me know what XFX Tech Support has to say about the UEFI BIOS.

HP Recommended

It seems that they responded the older reply I sent before the BIOS question instead. They probably somehow mistaken my system to be Windows 8 when they gave me instructions on how to disable secure boot to fix the problem.

Edit: Conclusion is that the GPU is defective and is sent to RMA.

(This post was meant to verify if my BIOS version is up to date, but my main problems got involved:smileyindifferent:)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.