Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6310y Desktop
Microsoft Windows Vista

I purchased a Pavilion p6310y Desktop on eBay, and I really like it. I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on it with no problem. For the purpose of running legacy software (specifically, Microsoft Virtual PC 2007), I wish to also install Windows Vista Ultimate on it on another partition.

I was under the impression that Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit was the originally installed OS when this system was released, however, when I boot the Windows Vista installation media (which I created from a downloaded ISO), it asks for additional drivers (presumably, Serial ATA drivers) before instalatio can proceed, as no hard drives show up in the drive list. Does anyone know where I can obtain these standalone Serial ATA driver files? The controller is an NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA controller. I do not have the original installation recovery disks, and don't believe it would be possible to obtain them at this point, as this sysem is no longer supported by HP.

Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Mark W. Stroberg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Mark:

I have zipped up and attached the sata raid controller driver you need for the nvidia chipset your PC has below.

The easiest way to install the driver is as follows...

Extract (copy) the files onto a usb flash drive without any folder.

With the flash drive and Vista installation media in the machine, boot from the Vista installation media.

After you select the install now option, select the Drive Options - Advanced menu, then select the Load Driver option.

You should now see the storage driver files listed.

If you check the box, it will only include the compatible driver.

Follow the prompts and hopefully Vista will install.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi, Mark:

I have zipped up and attached the sata raid controller driver you need for the nvidia chipset your PC has below.

The easiest way to install the driver is as follows...

Extract (copy) the files onto a usb flash drive without any folder.

With the flash drive and Vista installation media in the machine, boot from the Vista installation media.

After you select the install now option, select the Drive Options - Advanced menu, then select the Load Driver option.

You should now see the storage driver files listed.

If you check the box, it will only include the compatible driver.

Follow the prompts and hopefully Vista will install.

HP Recommended

According to the HP Pavilion p6310y Desktop PC Product Specifications, Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) was the factory installed OS.

As far as Vista is concern, no other drivers should be require to install it.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Thanks, that did the trick. I am still investigating whether or not Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 will work in 64-Bit Vista. I know it works in 32-Bit Windows Vista. Just in case I have to install 32-Bit Vista, I don't suppose you have the 32-Bit drivers for the same hardware as well?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I have zipped up and attached the 32 bit sata raid drivers below in case you need them.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.. I will receive my Serial Keys for the Vista installations in a few days. I'll let you know if I can successfully install Virtual PC 2007 in WIndows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. If I cannot, I'll let you know if I can install Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit successfully,as I know Virtual PC 2007 can be installed and function correctly in that OS.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

If you need help finding Vista 32 bit drivers for the hardware, please let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

HP Recommended

Thanks. The SATA drivers allowed me to install WIndows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit. The only extra driver I needed to manually install was the Ethernet driver, which I was able to get from the HP Website. After that, I was able to use Windows Update to install and update all the other drivers. The system works perfectly.

HP Recommended

That is great news.

Enjoy!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.